Do you have nicknames for Historical Figures.

Oct 2017
South Australia
Can't think of any I've made up, though I have a feeling Im forgetting some, but I do love how General Winfield S. Hancock in the American Civil War was called "the Superb". There were a lot of great nicknames in that war actually...

Last edited:
Reactions: Futurist

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
Boudicca= Bodacious
Putin= Pooting
Trump= Snatch grabber
Obama= Glock grabber
Clinton=Slick Willie
Nixon= Tricky Dickie
My father a very, very, minor historical character as one of the founding fathers of NASCAR whose real first name was Cleitus was always, even on his tombstone called Dobe, I have no idea how he got this name or what it means? If anyone knows the meaning of Dobe, please enlighten me?
I have no idea. However, I see that NASCAR was founded in in 1948 and so your father should have been born by 1928. I could guess that Dobe could be short for "adobe" if there is any reason for your father to be nicknamed after southwestern mud bricks. There are also places named Dobe in foreign countries: Dobe - Wikipedia

There was a TV show from 1959 to 1953, The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis , which could have suggested the nickname of "Dobe". It turns out that Dobie is a real surname and a personal name. Dobie (name) - Wikipedia

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Like for a example; Lizzy Of York, Olie Cromwell, Maria (For Marie Antoinette), Alex (Alexander Hamilton)
A-Hammy (or simply Hammy) for Alexander Hamilton, JJ for John Jay, GWash for George Washington, JohnnyA for John Adams, TommyJ for Thomas Jefferson, JimmyMad for James Madison, JMO for James Monroe, JQA for John Quincy Adams, Andy Jack for Andrew Jackson, Mr. Dutch for Martin Van Buren, and so forth.

The Tragic Prince for Charles III, Duke of Bourbon.

M9Powell

Ad Honorem
Oct 2014
appalacian Mtns
I have no idea. However, I see that NASCAR was founded in in 1948 and so your father should have been born by 1928. I could guess that Dobe could be short for "adobe" if there is any reason for your father to be nicknamed after southwestern mud bricks. There are also places named Dobe in foreign countries: Dobe - Wikipedia

There was a TV show from 1959 to 1953, The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis , which could have suggested the nickname of "Dobe". It turns out that Dobie is a real surname and a personal name. Dobie (name) - Wikipedia
1920 + or - 1 I think. No connection to SW US or Dobie Gillis to my knowledge. I vaguely remember the TV show. The foreign laungage cities may be relevant. He may have got the nickname from foreign immigrants in NY city. Maybe Italians? He himself is of Welsh & Highlander ancestery.

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
1920 + or - 1 I think. No connection to SW US or Dobie Gillis to my knowledge. I vaguely remember the TV show. The foreign laungage cities may be relevant. He may have got the nickname from foreign immigrants in NY city. Maybe Italians? He himself is of Welsh & Highlander ancestery.
Yesterday I noted that an actor in western movies is nicknamed Dobe in the site Jeff Arnold's west, but didn't remember his name. Today I searched the site for Dobe and found it was a nickname for Harry Carey Jr. (1921-2012) Jeff Arnold's West: Search results for Dobe And it is possible that he might know how Harry Carry Jr. got the name of nickname of Dobe.