Do you really want to live forever?

Jan 2019
Belgium
I ‘m 62
I have lived reasonably as we can say .
The problems of health begin.
I know enough on what I must know,
There is for me no hope for the future ,on the contrary the threats for the future are numerous and horrible : climatic change,polution, overpopulation,économic crisis,world war, a complete collapse of the society, the birth of a new society who will be based only on the economic value of each without any other considération , etc… For me it’s enough . It’s impossible to fight against this future .
Once last year i have get to 25 with my blood pressure ..it’s strange state effectively but not unpleasant ….not pleasant neither...but not unpleasant as we can say …
At this time I thought that so an « exit » was not a drama …

Dec 2011
In a state of good health and with a reasonably fulfilling life with many interests, I can easily want to live on indefinitely, but one's opinion can easily change over time. Only last week, with a very bad dose of influenza, in a stupor of lack of sleep, multiple aches and persistent cough, in the dead of night I just wanted to be shot.

I would like to live on indefinitely, leaving at a time of my own choosing. Future medical science may be able to keep humans living for thousands of years in good health and contentment, but if that happens then the nature of humanity itself will have changed.

Jul 2017
Memphis
And ever, and ever...

"Daly is said to have yelled, "Come on, you sons of bitches, do you want to live forever?" to the men in his company prior to charging the Germans during the Battle of Belleau Wood in World War I."

Daniel Daly - Wikipedia

One of my mates passed away a year or two ago, he was just a bit older than me and a larger than life character. He was a big guy, uncouth, rotten and a scoundrel. He would also speak his mind to anyone without any filter, which led to a few entertaining scenarios.

In my hedonistic youth he was a major figure in our gang of cronies and we would regularly go out partying on spectacular benders. One time I woke up in a bush outside the pub after a mad night. Another time in my mate's garden, draped in a union jack, wearing makeup and with curry stains everywhere. I also vaguely recall lying in the gutter outside the local church whilst dressed as a Catholic priest. We went to Canterbury once too and accidentally ended up in a gay bar.

The last time I saw him he lured my friends into a seedy strip club, naturally I didn't go. He was kind enough to buy one of my friends a lap dance and my friend, being more partial to the petite types and expecting a dainty maiden, ended up being entertained by a rather more voluptuous lady. It was extremely awkward apparently, and no doubt my mate took great delight in it.

Then unfortunately he passed. I was never that close to him, but every time I wander round the local area or spend time with my other friends I expect to see his cocky smile, he appeared indestructible.

Given the opportunity, would you live forever?

I think 500-1000 years might be alright, that would give me enough time to read, study and travel. I'd have to have people I care about with me though and still have good health. Work seems rather a waste of precious living time.
What I would like is this: There be a medicine available that would let you be for life physically 25 and immune from all disease. Eventually something like an accident, murder, or suicide would get you.
But how could you be immortal if the universe is destroyed anyhow?

You could have a reason to expect much more if you want it till the very end. You might die at any time, or live thousands of years, and have hope to the very end of living thousands more.

Jan 2019
Belgium
Past year I have lived an amazing experiment ;
When i'was coming at the hospital,I was 35, on the next morning, when I was get out of the hospital...I was 61 ...
There are things that you didn't have to know ...

SPERRO

Ad Honorem
Mar 2011
North East England
I think that life would become untenable. To witness the passing of all that we hold dear generation after generation, would make life meaningless. Despite this however, to live a long and fulfilling life would be far better. Nothing lasts for ever and that is the way it should be.

Jan 2019
Belgium

Yes I agree ... the life will become untenable in each case .
if you are the alone who is immortal
if there are a few immortals
if everybody are immortal.

In one case, you will see diappear all what you love or like
In other case , you will ask you : why thisone and why not thisother
In other case at last you will quickely understand that polution and overpopulation will kill soon the humanity

Dec 2011
Yes I agree ... the life will become untenable in each case .
if you are the alone who is immortal
if there are a few immortals
if everybody are immortal.

In one case, you will see diappear all what you love or like
In other case , you will ask you : why thisone and why not thisother
In other case at last you will quickely understand that polution and overpopulation will kill soon the humanity
The scenario we are wanting is the third one, that is some breakthrough in medical science that enables us all to live indefinitely.

If such a breakthrough was made, it would take a long time for it to be made available to everyone, but suppose that happened. Currently there are 50 million people dying worldwide every year, so getting that down to zero means 50 million more people each year alive than there would otherwise be. So you can see that it would take 20 years before this increased the population by 1 billion.

I hope that everyone, given this cure for death, would see that something would have to be put into place to stop the population increasing evermore. People would need a permit to have a child. Permits might be quite hard to get. Even so, I envisage that some people won't want to live forever. Let's say that people, on average, will want to die after 500 years. That would allow room for 100,000 birth permits a year. However i would say that, in a world with no death, things would be so very different. People would be actively searching for new ways of living, such as building cities on the oceans, or beginning to terraform Venus. Or perhaps we could set up virtual reality places, and we could actually sustainably live with a world population of 50 billion.

Similar History Discussions