Do you really want to live forever?

Feb 2017
Canada
Given unlimited resources, good health, good company? Sure, I wouldn't mind living a bit longer than average, but not forever. I'm still fairly young and I already find my life somewhat monotonous. Can't imagine that extending much further than the age of 100.

SPERRO

Ad Honorem
Mar 2011
North East England
I think people would soon get tired of living, even if there was tremendous leaps in life longevity promoting drugs (should such things become available). I am 70 years old, and even I can sense the deterioration to my body (and possibly to my brain:lol:), apart from the obvious signs every morning looking into the mirror. Tedium and Boredom can set in, so as long as there are activities or brain stimuli to relieve this, longer life might not be as appealing as it seems.

fascinating

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
When you think of all the books there are to read, all the fillms there are to watch, all the places you have not seen, there is no reason for tedium and boredom to set in, provided you have your health.

Feb 2017
Canada
When you think of all the books there are to read, all the fillms there are to watch, all the places you have not seen, there is no reason for tedium and boredom to set in, provided you have your health.
You'd think this would be true, and for some it may be, but after a while those books start seeming the same, the films contrived, the company you keep consistently uninformed.

There is enough there to keep people engaged for a good long time, but I think we're also underestimating how long ~ 70 - 80 years is.

Reactions: sparky

fascinating

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
I thought we were talking about 70 to 80 million years? "The company you keep consistently uninformed". What do you mean. So keep company with informed people. Technology should enable us to find the best people to talk to.

Feb 2017
Canada
I thought we were talking about 70 to 80 million years? "The company you keep consistently uninformed". What do you mean. So keep company with informed people. Technology should enable us to find the best people to talk to.
In my humble opinion relationships through the conduit of technology can't provide the same satisfaction as those in person. They help, but aren't a replacement.

This may only be specific to certain types of people, but for those people having no one in their immediate environment to relate to can be quite jarring. Usually it's a matter of knowledge and insight. Someone with a deep understanding of history, for instance, may not be interested in trips to the local pub with people speaking superficially about politics. For such long life would be quite lonely.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Either one keep company with similar old farts , re-hashing the same discussions
or one has to put up with younger people with some delusion about their worldview

old dogs get annoyed by bouncing puppies ,

Feb 2017
Canada
Either one keep company with similar old farts , re-hashing the same discussions
or one has to put up with younger people with some delusion about their worldview

old dogs get annoyed by bouncing puppies ,
I'm in my early thirties and I have quite a bit of trouble relating to my peers. At best they're uninformed, at worst they're downright cruel. Those in their 50s, 60s and above get a higher hit rate, but even they can be tiresome.

fascinating

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
In my humble opinion relationships through the conduit of technology can't provide the same satisfaction as those in person. They help, but aren't a replacement.

This may only be specific to certain types of people, but for those people having no one in their immediate environment to relate to can be quite jarring. Usually it's a matter of knowledge and insight. Someone with a deep understanding of history, for instance, may not be interested in trips to the local pub with people speaking superficially about politics. For such long life would be quite lonely.
People need to learn to have relaxing, intelligent, conversations with people they can trust, without the need for alcohol. People can be superficial about sport if they want. I think a get-together of people who live in the same area, thus have the same interests, can be very relaxing. I believe that modern technology, like lie detectors (which work) will tell us who we can trust and who we can't.