Do you really want to live forever?

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Forever is definitely too long. I'd be satisfied with one half of forever or even a quarter.

fascinating

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
But there are things that can be done. Feed the body real food, minimize drugs and stimulants, work hard and resolve your problems, practice mindfulness techniques (I like The Happiness Trap), make slow and concerted decisions. These things don't resolve the problem, but they make it a hell of a lot less painful.
I like the effect of exercise. I fund it fairly gruelling for around 30 minutes, my face sweating and my heart banging, but I do it for the sense of well-being I get afterwards, for at least 24 hours: a toned-up feeling, a healthy appetite, a sense of satisfaction and general appreciation of life.

fascinating

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Note that immortality is theroretically possible (whether desirable or not). The adult jellyfish turritopsis dohrnii is able to revert back to its juvenile form, and begin a new life cycle. I think it has been observed doing this multiple times. Another example is cancer cells, some of them seem to be immortal. There is the well-known case of an unfortunate woman who died of aggressive cancer in the 1950s, her cancer cells have been so vigorous that they were collected then, cultivated, and samples offered to other researchers. I believe I am right in saying that there is now about half a ton of the cells of this woman, around various laboritories, still growing and dividing with undiminished vigour.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
the issue is not so much the life span as the freshness of it
to be a child again , with all the accumulated life experience of an older human
means that one would be an older human in a fresh skin

this might seems appealing at first but the wear and tear of life experience would remain
which honest person would want to be a dirty old man( woman ) in a child body
it would be unethical and futile except for some jaded tricks

the power of youth is the innocence
to loose this is to loose everything
many life experience , I could have done better , but life is not a video game with a save button

a path can only be discovered once , after this is just a repeat

Feb 2017
Canada
I like the effect of exercise. I fund it fairly gruelling for around 30 minutes, my face sweating and my heart banging, but I do it for the sense of well-being I get afterwards, for at least 24 hours: a toned-up feeling, a healthy appetite, a sense of satisfaction and general appreciation of life.
Yea that too. I try to walk, at bare minimum, 10 -20 minutes a day. In good weather 30 - 40, with a few visits to the gym every few weeks.