Do you really want to live forever?

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
here
I'm assuming the immortality being discussed here doesn't include death from accidents or murder. So, while one may live forever and not have to fear age or disease, getting on a an airplane is still a risk, to an extent.

As it is, us humans are already somewhat risk averse and and we're interested in self preservation. Now, if we thought that we could actually live forever, would we become even more risk averse? Would we take even less chances than we do currently? Would the thought of getting in our cars and hazarding our chances on the freeway and ending our precious immortality be a crippling fear?

I'm assuming the immortality being discussed here doesn't include death from accidents or murder. So, while one may live forever and not have to fear age or disease, getting on a an airplane is still a risk, to an extent.

As it is, us humans are already somewhat risk averse and and we're interested in self preservation. Now, if we thought that we could actually live forever, would we become even more risk averse? Would we take even less chances than we do currently? Would the thought of getting in our cars and hazarding our chances on the freeway and ending our precious immortality be a crippling fear?
Yeah I've thought about that too. If the circumstances of our immortality were as you describe it, then yes, I imagine we'd be pretty paranoid.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
I would rather see a cloning with a download of the distilled wisdom

Shuck , it exist and is called parenthood
now my head is in a spin , I'm hundreds of millions years old

Dec 2011

I reckon you are probably right. People will surely be less willing to, for example, go fight in wars, because risking a life that would otherwise continue for thousands of years, is a far bigger deal than putting a life, of say 80 years, on the line.

Feb 2016
Japan
Living forever....
if I didnt age and was also unkillable, it might be interesting to see the world change.
But if I could be killed it might not be worth it. Dying peacefully aged 78 might be better than dying horrible aged 25,000 when the world ends. What use were those 25 000 years then.
And the longer I live the more chances of being maimed in accidents increases. My first 1000 years might be normal but what if I’m blinded, crippled, emasculated, deafened or left irredeemably ugly from some disaster. How difficult will the next 40 000 years be!!

Am I sterile? Breeding causes problems. I might have half the planet bring my decendents by the time the world ends.

What meaningful existence could I have in a life that has no end. Ennui and disinterest would become a curse. There would always be a tomorrow. Tens of thousands of friends would die. Watching my child and grandchildren grow old and die before doesn’t not seem like a pleasent time.

No. I’d take bowing out aged 120 provinding the aging process from 60-120 could be slowed. Aged 119 I’d better be able to walk/talk/see and wipe my own arse.

Similar History Discussions