Do you support Donald Trump's decision to move the U.S. embassy to Jerusalem?

Do you support Donald Trump's decision to move the U.S. embassy to Jerusalem?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Closed

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
As for me, Yes, I do. Basically, I think that every country should be able to decide where to locate its capital and considering that no one disputes that Israel is going to keep the Jewish-majority parts of Jerusalem in any final peace treaty, it makes sense for the U.S. to recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capital as long as it also makes clear that this does not rule out the possibility of giving the Palestinians some or all of the Arab-majority neighborhoods of Jerusalem in the future.

Maybe the U.S. should have gotten something in return for this move, but at the same time, I'm not sure that Israel would have actually been willing to make significant concessions in order to achieve this outcome.

Also, this move on Trump's part would fulfill a law which the U.S. Congress enacted back in 1995. Considering that the U.S. Congress was so overwhelmingly eager to recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capital back in 1995, and considering that the security situation in Israel has significantly calmed down in recent years, I think that it is only fair for the U.S. President to finally execute the U.S. Congress's will in regards to this issue. After all, the U.S. Congress should learn that when it votes for something, it should expect what it voted for to become a reality.

Anyway, any thoughts on this?

Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
I don't see any rational objection because Israel would undoubtedly keep part of Jerusalem in any peace settlement; but Israel seems to be the country that all right-thinking people have agreed to hate, so it is thought to be the wrong thing to do anything that recognizes that it has a right even to exist.

Dec 2015
USA
Keep in mind Trump is a businessman. Trumps first foreign visit was not to Israel, but was to Saudi Arabia.

Trump has made many Pro Israeli statements, but Trump has also said he wants to bring peace to Israel/Palestine.

Trump has at times surrounded himself with controversial people , Trump has made mistakes or questionable decisions just like any person. For example At a celebration of the Embassy move, Trump spiritual adviser Pastor Jeffress was present in Israel to give a prayer to the Jewish people..the same pastor Jeffress that says Jews will burn in hell for rejecting Jesus. One has to ask what is going on here, where is the civility? What was Pastor Jeffress really saying to himself when in prayer with all those Jewish folks present? Just saying this because if folks think Trump is a big time Pro Israeli guy, well that might not be the case. Trump is pro business and does and says things that he thinks will bring success.

Trump has also said he will bring together Israel and Palestine as one state or their will be a peaceful two state solution and Trump will play a role. So who knows what it means for Trump to recognize the capital of Israel as Jerusalem, it could be part of a bigger plan.. possibly in a few years Israel/Palestine will be one state with equal laws for all. Right now Israel and the so called Palestinian governments of The West Bank and Gaza are corrupt and favor anti humane civil laws but so does the GCC states which are allies of The USA.

Hope is the entire middle east can improve itself and there have been good signs.

Last edited:

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
I have voted "yes" according to my well known stance about this matter.

After a far past when Urusalem was the seat of a servant king of the Egyptian Pharaoh, Jerusalem [the new name of Urusalem] has been the capital of only a people: the Israeli People. We can reason that it has been the main city of this or that province of this or that empire ... but which People, in history, has had Jerusalem as capital about the Jewish People?

In a few words, I don't understand the surprise about the American move. This administration has done something decided under Clinton and never realized [the US Congress voted to move the Embassy, it was a decision of the representatives of the American People, not a Presidential decision ... Presidents have just delayed it ... Jerusalem Embassy Act - Wikipedia].

May 2015
The Netherlands
As for me, Yes, I do. Basically, I think that every country should be able to decide where to locate its capital and considering that no one disputes that Israel is going to keep the Jewish-majority parts of Jerusalem in any final peace treaty
Should every country also be able to locate its capital outside of its internationally recognized borders, more specifially: in occupied territory and in violation of international law?

it makes sense for the U.S. to recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capital as long as it also makes clear that this does not rule out the possibility of giving the Palestinians some or all of the Arab-majority neighborhoods of Jerusalem in the future.
Jerusalem is a divided city, of which East Jerusalem (including the old city) is considered illegally occupied and annexed under international law. The current US administration has recognized Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, without making any reservation about West Jerusalem, East Jerusalem and Palestinians rights. Hence, your argument is pretty much void.

No, obviously I don't support this decision. There's a good reason why the countries that previously had an embassy in Jerusalem, have moved them in accordance with United Nations Security Council Resolution 47 (which unequivocally condems Israel's illegal annexation of East Jerusalem and calls upon UN members to withdraw their diplomatic presence from Jerusalem). This was of course to put pressure on the occupying power and to keep the options of a negotiated solution for the city open.

Moving the US embassy to Jerusalem is disgraceful and completely irresponsible. Apart from the legal implications, what it does is reward and further embolden a country that is a systematic violator of human rights and which in recent years has escalated its settlement enterprise and brutal occupation in the West Bank, which is characterized by ethnic cleansing, colonial dispossession and de facto apartheid rule. The US has been a dishonest broker in the conflict and an enabler of Israeli crimes for decades and this move certainly fits the pattern. As expected, it has already led to new violence. It also further undermines Palestinian rights and the chances of achieving a fair and lasting peace deal based on a two-state solution. The fact that the new US embassy in Israel is partially located on occupied land says enough really.

Last edited:
Status
Closed