Do you think Communism is as bad as Nazism?

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
I have heard many people say this and they often use the argument that Communism killed more people than Nazism and is therefore potentially even worse. I personally do NOT agree for several reasons:

1. Nazism is inherently evil, you have to be anti-Setimic, anti-Slavic and generally anti-Untermensch in order to be a Nazi. It is a hateful ideology to the core whose goal is actually also quite evil: greater Germanic Reich cleansed of unworthy populations. Communism really is not inherently evil, misguided and impractical sure, prone to degenerating into totalitarianism sure, but at its core it is really not as evil as the Nazi ideology. Communism's goal is a classless, stateless society. You don't have to hate entire people groups if you want to be a Communist (although Engels kinda did; just read his opinions of the Slavs who he liked to call barbarians).

2. as far as victim numbers go, well, we have to keep in mind that Communism is still present in the world while Nazism was pretty much eradicated following WW2. Also, I would hesitate before blaming all deaths in Communist countries on the ideology of Communism. For example, Holodomor can also be interpreted as Stalin's deliberate attempt to weaken the Ukrainian people. Stalin was a Russian nationalist so Holodomor can also be seen as a tragedy caused by nationalism rather than Communism.

What are your opinions?

Oct 2011
Croatia
1. Communism is also inherently evil. Only difference is that the "other" is not defined biologically. However, Communism is just as intolerant of anyobody "different", even though difference in case of Communism is defined on the basis of class and thought process / ideology. Communists also want to cleanse world of unworthy populations, they merely define them as "capitalists, bourgeoisie etc.".

2. This also means that Communism is more dangerous. An outright less lethal poison can be much more dangerous than much more lethal poison if its reduced lethality leads to reduced reaction and recognition of the problem. Sugar is much less immediately lethal than arsenic, but which kills more people every day? (Hint: It is not arsenic).

3. Marx and Engels would disagree on Communism being less hateful. They declared Czechs to be "dogs" and Croats to be "scum of the earth" due to opposing "glorious Hungarian revolution". One Marxist journalist wrote that "Slavs are as stupid as dogs" or something to that effect. Engels declared a need for a "life and death fight" until "complete extermination" of Slavs who had "betrayed Revolution", and that they should be "destroyed with fire and sword".

Neue Rheinische Zeitung No. 135 November 1848
"Horsewhip that scum into the Danube River,
Go castigate that overweening rabble,
Those starveling beggars, all so tired of living,
That horde of miscreants, rogues and vagabonds,
Croatian riff-raff, abject peasant hirelings,
That vomit, spewed up by a glutted homeland
For desperate ventures and for certain doom."

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
I adressed your 3rd point. Engels was a Slavophobe. There is no doubt about that.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
My point was that it was not just Engels. What I cited was written by Marx.
Sure, but you can separate their Slavophobia from the ideology of Communism which really does not incorporate Slavophobia. Communist regimes did not persecute Slavs (except in nationalistic-fueled cases like Albania and Romania) because they were Slavs. You CANNOT separate Nazism from racial hatred and persecution. They killed Jews because they were Jews.

Baldtastic

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Londinium
If you are born as an "untermensch" in Nazi Germany you're really not perceived that differently by the government from an upper class noble within a post-revolution Communist nation i.e. inherently dispensable based on your genetics/family and not of value for your new society that is being created.

Reactions: Futurist and Picard
Oct 2011
Croatia
Sure, but you can separate their Slavophobia from the ideology of Communism which really does not incorporate Slavophobia. Communist regimes did not persecute Slavs (except in nationalistic-fueled cases like Albania and Romania) because they were Slavs. You CANNOT separate Nazism from racial hatred and persecution. They killed Jews because they were Jews.
You can separate Communism from Slavophobia specifically, yes. But you cannot separate Communism from hatred towards anyone who is not a Communist. As I have already stated:
Only difference is that the "other" is not defined biologically.
But any group which is perceived to be against Communist ideals is marked for extermination. And this can be ideological, political, cultural or ethnic group.

Communism is inherently evil, just as Nazism is inherently evil. Difference is in manifestation and rhetoric, but that difference is usually enough to fool people.

Feb 2019
Serbia
This can be approached from a few different angles:

In theory, Nazism is infinitely worse than Communism and if we go by the theoretical approach Communism is technically one of the best systems imaginable.....in theory. It's also wrong to say that Communism isn't inherently hateful, while Nazism hates certain ethnicities and races, Communism hates classes. They despise nobles, magnates, capitalists etc. and the ideological ideas that oppose Communism as well as anyone who holds these ideas.

In practice, by your own admission Communism is prone to failing and in my eyes actually bound to fail as its goal is realistically impossible. It aims for a classless utopia where everyone is of equal rank, everyone can work and live in accordance to their ability and needs etc. but this evidently isn't possible. Trying to create a utopia almost always ends up creating a dystopia.

Nazism is evil, both in theory and in practice and its goals too are impossible, extermination of entire races and conquest of such territory was practically impossible in the time Nazism was tried.

The argument of theory alone leads me to think that your 2nd point, at least in part, boils down to ''That wasn't true Communism!'' or ''Communism isn't responsible for that!'' If this is the case I reject this notion. If a system can't even be put into practice properly it is safe to say it's inherently flawed and if the attempts to create it lead to such dictatorships and totalitarian societies it is safe to say that it's terrible. Furthermore if we class those societies as a direct product of Communism we can say that Communism is evil. Due to these governments that were spawned by attempts at Communism I would say that Communism is worse in practice.

In conclusion:

In theoretical and doctrinal approaches: Nazism is worse.

In a practical approach: Communism is worse.

Last edited: