Do you think that Hitler's Austrian birth and upbringing influenced him in any ways that a German birth and upbringing would not have?

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
I do wonder if the atmosphere in pre-WWI Austria was more totalitarian than the atmosphere in pre-WWI Germany. Frankly, I doubt it.
I agree.The Kaiser's Germany was less tolerant of minorities from what I have read. Bismarck ruled with an iron fist. The Kulturkampf is and example of a totalitarian mindset in my opinion.

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
That might have been in part due to Romania's and Yugoslavia's coziness with Britain and France, though. Had these countries been willing to be in the Nazi orbit (earlier, in the case of Romania), it's possible that they would have maintained their territorial integrity or at least more of it.
Fair point, yes. My comment was in response to what I read as a statement that Hitler had "the same amount" of contempt for all non-German speaking nationalities of the Habsburg Empire.

mark87

Ad Honorem
Jan 2014
Santiago de Chile
To be fair, though, pre-WWI Germany also had some anti-Semitism; for instance, here's a proto-Nazi book by German nationalist Heinrich Class from 1912:

An excerpt from a proto-Nazi book from 1912
Oh there was most certainly local German empire antisemitism, but this guy Class I doubt was a mayor of the largest metropolitan area of his country. There was of course the volkischer movement but to my knowledge they were not mainstream at the time. Looking into it more, it's interesting to note that Vienna was growing a lot in the years Hitler was there demographically with immigrants from all over the Empire. Vienna also had a relatively large amount of Jews (10 percent) living there at the time and an even larger amount of Slavic peoples (the Czechs in particular were the largest 'immigrant' group there). I don't think he could have learned his worldview from Germany at the time.
Rather than arguing for Austria influencing Hitler more than Germany I guess i'm arguing it could only have been Vienna to leave that kernel of a world view in his mind that later exploded in Germany some years later.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Oh there was most certainly local German empire antisemitism, but this guy Class I doubt was a mayor of the largest metropolitan area of his country. There was of course the volkischer movement but to my knowledge they were not mainstream at the time. Looking into it more, it's interesting to note that Vienna was growing a lot in the years Hitler was there demographically with immigrants from all over the Empire. Vienna also had a relatively large amount of Jews (10 percent) living there at the time and an even larger amount of Slavic peoples (the Czechs in particular were the largest 'immigrant' group there). I don't think he could have learned his worldview from Germany at the time.
Rather than arguing for Austria influencing Hitler more than Germany I guess i'm arguing it could only have been Vienna to leave that kernel of a world view in his mind that later exploded in Germany some years later.
That's a good point about Karl Lueger being Vienna's mayor. I don't know if any super-prominent German mayors during this time (such as in Berlin or Hamburg) were actually vocal anti-Semites.

Also, you made another good point in regards to Vienna's large amount of ethnic minorities and especially Jews. I don't think that German cities had as high of a Jewish percentage--though I could be wrong about this.

I agree.The Kaiser's Germany was less tolerant of minorities from what I have read. Bismarck ruled with an iron fist. The Kulturkampf is and example of a totalitarian mindset in my opinion.
Well, Hungary wasn't exactly tolerant towards its minorities either. Austria does appear to have been more tolerant, though.

mark87

Ad Honorem
Jan 2014
Santiago de Chile
That's a good point about Karl Lueger being Vienna's mayor. I don't know if any super-prominent German mayors during this time (such as in Berlin or Hamburg) were actually vocal anti-Semites.

Also, you made another good point in regards to Vienna's large amount of ethnic minorities and especially Jews. I don't think that German cities had as high of a Jewish percentage--though I could be wrong about this.

Well, Hungary wasn't exactly tolerant towards its minorities either. Austria does appear to have been more tolerant, though.
I don't think so but I'd have to check.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
hitler was born and raise in a southern country
Stalin was born and raised in a southern country
Napoleon was born and raised in a southern country ( bought by France five years before his birth )

maybe it has something to do with the sun ?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I don't think so but I'd have to check.
Is this about the Jewish % in Germany's cities?

hitler was born and raise in a southern country
Stalin was born and raised in a southern country
Napoleon was born and raised in a southern country ( bought by France five years before his birth )

maybe it has something to do with the sun ?
Some of America's Founding Fathers came from the South, so it can't be all bad! :D

mark87

Ad Honorem
Jan 2014
Santiago de Chile
Is this about the Jewish % in Germany's cities?

Some of America's Founding Fathers came from the South, so it can't be all bad! :D
Yes. I saw in a previous post a quote of Birgitte Hamann, checked the book out it seems to at least partly answer the question, at least how I see it.

Apr 2010
evergreen state, USA
My maternal grandmother told me decades ago that her husband, my maternal grandfather, went to school with Adolf Hitler in Linz, Austria. But looking at the data, he was two years younger than Adolf. I had a secretary in Berlin (U.S. Army occupation) who said she waved at "Uncle Adolf" as he paraded along a Berlin avenue, ha ha. What amuses me is that my grandmother has a line going back to the Lorraine branch of Habsburg-Lorraine (think emperor Franz Joseph). What would her husband (my grandfather) have thought of that if he knew that?

Last edited:
Sep 2016
Georgia
1 year before his birth actually. France bought Corsica in 1768. However, it still had to put down the resistance and rebellion on the island in 1769. French managed to establish control over Corsica only few months before Napoleon's birth on 15th of August.