Do you think that the us is getting too involved with the affairs of other countries?

Status
Closed
Mar 2013
US
What is your opinion? Lets have a debate. I think yes but I will provide my support later b/c I have to go now

Edit:throughout us history to now

Apachewarlord

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Hippy town U.S.A.!
Well, before WWII it wasn't involved enough.

Anyway, I feel that after WWII America was a superpower, so it was, in a way, obligated to be involved in everyone else's business. Also, America was far from a good country at a time, but it was way better than the communist countries, who were really fascist.

Also, as historian James Stokesbury outs it, after WWII there were really only two powerful nations, USA and USSR, everyone else were basically satellites of these two nations. So therefor, the UK, France, West Germany, and all the others could not and would not act without the USA, so therefor, in things like the Korean War, they had to get involved, or else enrage their allies (satellites.)

Mar 2013
US
Look at what the Monroe Doctrine has done. And then look at the U.S. occupation of Cuba and then the Platt Amendment of 1901. Cuba should be it's own country. Okay, during the Spanish American War, the U.S. fought to liberate Cuba from Spain's control. But after that, US troops still remained in Cuba!!! What is this crap?

The Platt Amendment that the U.S. FORCED CUBA TO AGREE TO REQUIRED TO PERMIT THE US TO INTERVENE IN CUBA'S AFFAIRS TO PRESERVE ITS INDEPENDENCE, BLAH BLAH BLAH. WHY??!! THE US IS MEDDLING IN THE AFFAIRS OF OTHER COUNTRIES FAR TOO MUCH!

Port

Ad Honorem
Feb 2013
portland maine
Look at what the Monroe Doctrine has done. And then look at the U.S. occupation of Cuba and then the Platt Amendment of 1901. Cuba should be it's own country. Okay, during the Spanish American War, the U.S. fought to liberate Cuba from Spain's control. But after that, US troops still remained in Cuba!!! What is this crap?

The Platt Amendment that the U.S. FORCED CUBA TO AGREE TO REQUIRED TO PERMIT THE US TO INTERVENE IN CUBA'S AFFAIRS TO PRESERVE ITS INDEPENDENCE, BLAH BLAH BLAH. WHY??!! THE US IS MEDDLING IN THE AFFAIRS OF OTHER COUNTRIES FAR TOO MUCH!
The Spanish American war started as offering assistance for the liberation of Cuba, It them moved into a war for control of the Philippines

Here is a link to a time line of U,S. interventions in Central & south Anerica
History of U.S. Interventions in Latin America

Mar 2012
In the bag of ecstatic squirt
That's what a world police is all about. The U.N. is nothing but its stamp pad. Political realities state that there is going to be a leader as nature provides such as the role of the alpha dog that takes care of the pack.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Usually democracies don't enter wars without someone else threatening them directly or their interests [directly or indirectly].

This said, I would remind that a country with a geopolitical importance like the one of the United States cannot remain isolated from the rest of the planet and in a way or an other [just because of its sphere of influence] it's involved here and there.

Mar 2012
In the bag of ecstatic squirt
^I agree, and the War on Terror is the most recent manifestation of the role that the U.S. assume to protect democracy and the free world. Of course we are not ignorant of pragmatism of its foreign policy, and nothing is for free in this world.

Kevinmeath

Ad Honoris
May 2011
Navan, Ireland
The USA 'sticks it nose in'-- you Imperialists interfering 'Bar Stewards'

The USA 'doesn't stick its nose in'--- you useless isolationist selfish 'Bar Stewards'

May 2012
San Diego, CA
It is true that as being a global superpower, U.S is involving to nearly every single countries affairs but it is a necessary thing for U.S to continue to be a superpower. Throught history every superpower got involved to other nations affairs to secure their position so I believe as a country America has a right to protect his throne also but for protecting your superpower position no country has right to spill blood including U.S.

Well, before WWII it wasn't involved enough.

Anyway, I feel that after WWII America was a superpower, so it was, in a way, obligated to be involved in everyone else's business. Also, America was far from a good country at a time, but it was way better than the communist countries, who were really fascist.

Also, as historian James Stokesbury outs it, after WWII there were really only two powerful nations, USA and USSR, everyone else were basically satellites of these two nations. So therefor, the UK, France, West Germany, and all the others could not and would not act without the USA, so therefor, in things like the Korean War, they had to get involved, or else enrage their allies (satellites.)
I understand your point that you are saying the communist countries were pretty bad but using fascist was not a good word for it. Facism is the compeletely opposite term of communism ;). It is term for extreme nationalism(far-right) while communism is far left.

Status
Closed