Do your damned ancestors-your relatives-wish you evil?

Jun 2013
Connecticut
I guess this question is addressed to those of the Judeo-Christian-Islamic religious traditions. To those who believe and have a grasp of the history of their religions.
Would not only be interested in an opinion but also references to historical traditions/theologians who might have tackled this topic.

Oct 2012
Des Moines, Iowa
What exactly are you asking? Are you asking if you think the ancestors of those who converted to Abrahamic religious traditions would look down upon their descendants on the basis of their conversion and abandonment of pre-Abrahamic customs or beliefs?

Jun 2013
Connecticut
What exactly are you asking? Are you asking if you think the ancestors of those who converted to Abrahamic religious traditions would look down upon their descendants on the basis of their conversion and abandonment of pre-Abrahamic customs or beliefs?
Hopes this clarifies the OP.
1. You are decendant of people from either the Judeo or Christian or Islamic religions.
2. Unfortunately some of your ancestors are damned to hell. The religious traditions mentioned believe in hell as a place for humans who were damned.
3. What do these condemned relatives think of you? Do you think they're jealous? Do they think they wished you would decend into evil? Do you think they hate you?

Belgarion

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Australia
1. You are decendant of people from either the Judeo or Christian or Islamic religions.
2. Unfortunately some of your ancestors are damned to hell. The religious traditions mentioned believe in hell as a place for humans who were damned.
3. What do these condemned relatives think of you? Do you think they're jealous? Do they think they wished you would decend into evil? Do you think they hate you?

Given the descriptions of hell in the religious texts of these three religions, I would imagine that people there would be more concerned about their own situation than that of their ancestors.

Jun 2013
Connecticut
Given the descriptions of hell in the religious texts of these three religions, I would imagine that people there would be more concerned about their own situation than that of their ancestors.
Good point. I have been thinking about that.

But I would think they no longer have a concern over their situation. To me "concern" deals with linear time. They have a final realization that their situation is unchangeable. There is no concern because nothing exists to concern them.

A perpetual remorse over the loss of God's presence will plague them. That would be the pain. I think that without hope there would be a hatred and envy towards those who have not failed.

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Lago Maggiore, Italy
Now, I'm a hereditary German Knight. I received the title from a German elder I've never known [he wrote me a letter in early 90's from Scotland ...]. He served under Hitler [like his brother] but Nazis simply invited them to leave Germany in 1938. They left ... [and they sustained that if they were the commanders of the tanks at Stalingrad ... the battle would have been different. But you know, this is just talking ...].

So, blessed ancestors! At least I hope they didn't simply deny to have been Nazi! [I've got some pictures where the only missing thing is a nice Swastika ...].

Unfortunately, my ancestors took part to the Crusades [holy warriors!] with the Catholics, but I'm Protestant. So that I think they were on the wrong side.

What would my Catholic ancestors think about me? At least they would appreciate that I'm member of the same Knight Order [the SMOM which is probably the only one Catholic Order with a Protestant arm, but I'm not sure about this].

Anyway, at the end, I don't care. I'm myself and I live my life. Period. My ancestors are in history and I will remind them in the limits of what I know of them. For the rest ... it's none of my business.

Being Christian I do know that I should be ready to renegade relatives ... remember what Jesus said ...

Matthew 10 ...
34 “Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to turn
“‘a man against his father,
a daughter against her mother,
a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—
36 a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’[c]

Similar History Discussions