Do your damned ancestors-your relatives-wish you evil?

Jun 2013
Connecticut
So this is what I found out about the OP. It's from a Christian (Western?) point of view. It's hard enough looking at it from this view, never mind a Judaic or Islamic view.

Sentiments about hell have been expressed by Socretes, Plato and Plutarch. Alphonse Ligouri says that it is a starting point and hell's existence is related in Sacred Scripture in countless passages.

From what I could gather Ligouri relies on Thomas Acquinas. Based on Acquinas' deductions (way beyond my understanding), the will of the damned is set on evil. Since the damned are damned because of being obstinate in evil. they are opposite to the willl of God.

Technically they have abandoned themselves to evil and God gives up on them because it's what they wanted. (Isn't this what's called the "unforgivable sin"?) So the damned cannot turn their will towards good. It can't exist.

So the damned wish damnation on all because of the hatred they for themselves - being envious of the righteous living. And this goes for your relatives; your ancestors. There is no affection for us. They have no love of anything whatsoever, especially for another human soul that might enjoy the love of God.

If you believe, this becomes way creepy. I don't think I'm going to investigate this anymore. I'm done.

Last edited:
Jun 2013
Connecticut
Its an interesting topic good post.

The question is can those residing in hell actually see those in the modern world, that question is something we do not have an answer to it seems.
I think I might have found an answer. Ligouri mentions William Hessels van Est (Latin: Estius). Van Est was an early 17th c. theologian and he said that the blessed know what concerns us. Since the damned don't belong to the church (..on earth as it is in heaven) all the damned can do is hate everyone. They're outside the realm of knowing because they're wrapped up in themselves in a place that is outside the realm of "good", i.e. heaven and all the universe, which is good in the eyes of God.

Acquinas said that at the Last Judgement the damned will see the blessed in glory. They will witness the "beatific vision" i.e. being in union with God but they won't completely understand it. They will know it's good and great but only feel a profound sense of loss.

May 2015
Schertz ,Tx
My ancestors have no clue I'm even alive. I assume that my great aunt Sister Mary Generose SSND is in Heaven. She was a good woman and in fact her example of a true follower of Jesus inspired a student of hers to become a priest. I'm sure she prayers for the family, just as any of our other relatives who have died are doing.

Jun 2013
Connecticut
My ancestors have no clue I'm even alive. I assume that my great aunt Sister Mary Generose SSND is in Heaven. She was a good woman and in fact her example of a true follower of Jesus inspired a student of hers to become a priest. I'm sure she prayers for the family, just as any of our other relatives who have died are doing.
This is just my view based on what was written just prior to your post. I seem to agree with Ligouri & company and believe your blessed ancestors know about you. Your unfortunate ancestors - the damned - don't know about you, don't care about you and lump you in a group they hate and wish evil upon. That group is the living who have the potential to become the blessed.

Similar History Discussions