Documentaries on Ancient Rome on chronological order

Mar 2018
Ancient Alexandria
My son is 11 y.o. and he kind of digs history.

Lately we’ve watched these documentaries:

▪ "Caesar" from the BBC series: "Ancient Rome - The Rise and Fall of an Empire"
and then:
▪ "Battle of Philippi" and
▪ "Battle of Actium" from National Geographic’s: "Rome's Greatest Battles"

They are closely connected chronologically, one after the other, and together they cover a turning point in the history of Ancient Rome: the passing from the republic to being an empire.

They are all dramatized and there is just the voice of a narrator explaining things, with no breaks of historians in between, like in other documentaries.

In the National Geographic series I liked it a lot they actually speak Latin and Greek, eventhough of the wrong era and with bad intonation (the thing you get when you don’t actually understand what you are saying). Nevertheless, it’s still way better to hear Markus Antonius discuss with Cleopatra in Greek instead of English with some heavy American accent.

To me, it would be great to actually compile a list of documentaries on Ancient Rome, on chronological order. It’s nice to catch glimpses of interesting moments here and there but history is a story telling where things happen in a specific order, each one making way to a subsequent event.

a) Can anyone here suggest what documentaries we can watch, with my son, after National Geographic’s "Battle of Actium" and the victory of Octavianus Augustus over Markus Antonius, that can be seen as the logical sequel?

b) Can anyone suggest documentaries on Ancient Rome, in general, that tell the story in close chronological order?

(We love dramatization and of course, historians explaining things, are always welcome.)

Jul 2017
Romania
Teach him to read books for actually history. Documentaries are bias lately and have a political agenda behind them, like feminism and other political correctness stupidity.

Mar 2018
Ancient Alexandria
I've watched the documentaries myself and I didn't notice any bias on political correctness. I mean, I didn't see any Romans smoke but I take it it's because smoking in Europe wasn't a thing yet.

Documentaries are way more capturing, especially for kids. And in some aspects, they are better than books. (Try describing a trireme with words. You won't even get half the picture. Then try showing a picture of a trireme.)

One reason that my son knows more about Ancient Rome or WWII than the average kids his age, are documentaries.

Anyway I wouldn't like to get into a discussion about books vs documentaries here.

Instead, I hope I will get some useful answer on my original post.

:)

Jul 2017
Romania
''Eight Days That Made Rome'' this is the documentary. It has 8 episodes. You can watch it but is full of inacuracies, like the ones you mentioned earlier