Does anyone here know where I can find a map of the total non-racial lynchings throughout US history?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Does anyone here know where I can find a map of the total non-racial lynchings throughout US history? I want to look at data separately by US state or, even better, by US county.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I have now found this map in regards to this:

MWT - Explore the Map - Lynching acts of white supremacy

It's extremely well-made, extremely detailed, and extremely informative! Anyway, @aggienation, you're correct, there were a lot of lynchings in the Western US as well. I just wish that there was an easy way for us to compare per capita lynching rates in the South and West. I know that the West had much less people than the South had during the 19th and early 20th centuries--which is why I am curious to see just how their lynchings compare on a per capita basis.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Interestingly enough, it looks like most Western lynchings occurred in the late 19th century whereas most Southern lynchings occurred in the 75 years between 1875 and 1950.

Jul 2016
USA
I have now found this map in regards to this:

MWT - Explore the Map - Lynching acts of white supremacy

It's extremely well-made, extremely detailed, and extremely informative! Anyway, @aggienation, you're correct, there were a lot of lynchings in the Western US as well. I just wish that there was an easy way for us to compare per capita lynching rates in the South and West. I know that the West had much less people than the South had during the 19th and early 20th centuries--which is why I am curious to see just how their lynchings compare on a per capita basis.
Even a lot of lynchings in the South werent racial. What happens when some poor white guy raped someone's wife/ daughter/ sister. They had themselves a hangin'.

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
There were lynchings in the west earlier because there was a lack of legal law enforcement. There were some white Republicans and such lynched during Reconstruction. There were also whites lynched in the south 1875-1950 mostly for rape or murder. It usually had to be a worse offense for a white to be lynched. However, something like 15% of southern lynchings were of whites. It would be interesting to see a map of lynchings of whites, but I don't think one exists.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Even a lot of lynchings in the South werent racial. What happens when some poor white guy raped someone's wife/ daughter/ sister. They had themselves a hangin'.
Or merely got accused of doing this, no?

There were lynchings in the west earlier because there was a lack of legal law enforcement. There were some white Republicans and such lynched during Reconstruction. There were also whites lynched in the south 1875-1950 mostly for rape or murder. It usually had to be a worse offense for a white to be lynched. However, something like 15% of southern lynchings were of whites. It would be interesting to see a map of lynchings of whites, but I don't think one exists.
Leo Frank is a notable case of a white person being lynched in the Southern US in the early 20th century. Also, weren't several Italians in New Orleans lynched in 1891?

Interactive map of lynchings by county:

Lynching in the United States: 1883-1930

There are large chunks of the US where no-one was lynched.
Looks interesting! Now, if only I could actually get this map to work on my computer. :(

Jul 2016
USA
@Triceratops: Your map now works for me, which is great!
you should read the paper the map was based on:

Historians are increasingly studying lynching outside of the American Southeast, but sociologists have been slow to follow. We introduce a new public data set that extends existing data on lynching victims to cover the contiguous United States from 1883 to 1941. These data confirm that lynching was a heterogeneous practice across the United States. We differentiate between three different regimes over this period: a Wild West regime, characterized mostly by the lynching of whites in areas with weak state penetration; a slavery regime, found in former slave states, characterized mostly by the lynching of blacks; and a third minor regime, characterized by the lynching of Mexican nationals mostly along the Texas-Mexico border. We also note great variability at the county level in the extent of lynching. By contrast, we find very little state-level variability in lynching once local and regional regimes are considered. We discuss the implications of local and regional heterogeneity for quantitative lynching research using these data.
National Crimes: A New National Data Set of Lynchings in the United States, 1883 to 1941