Does the USSR still persecute Jews if Israel isn't created until much later?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
In real life, the USSR persecuted Jews in the post-WWII decades--especially after Israel aligned itself more with the West as opposed to with the USSR. In turn, this made me wonder--had Israel not been created until much later (for instance, had Elser's plot succeeded in killing Hitler and Goering would have somehow got the courage to completely withdraw from Poland and Danzig afterwards--thus ending WWII extremely early), would the USSR have still persecuted its Jewish population? Or would life for Jews in the USSR have been better in this scenario?

Also, if Soviet Jews aren't persecuted, are less of them going to want to leave the USSR?

Apr 2018
Upland, Sweden
In real life, the USSR persecuted Jews in the post-WWII decades--especially after Israel aligned itself more with the West as opposed to with the USSR. In turn, this made me wonder--had Israel not been created until much later (for instance, had Elser's plot succeeded in killing Hitler and Goering would have somehow got the courage to completely withdraw from Poland and Danzig afterwards--thus ending WWII extremely early), would the USSR have still persecuted its Jewish population? Or would life for Jews in the USSR have been better in this scenario?

Also, if Soviet Jews aren't persecuted, are less of them going to want to leave the USSR?
This seems possible - and the pressure to leave would probably have been less.

I was under the impression though that much of persecution of Jews was taken up for domestic reasons (i.e. the usual dicide and rule stuff Stalin liked to engage in), and began already with the "Doctor's plot" and so on, if not earlier. How much did Israel really have to do with it? How much did the Soviets care about it?

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
This seems possible - and the pressure to leave would probably have been less.
Yeah--though it is worth noting that the Soviet economy would have still been in the toilet.

I was under the impression though that much of persecution of Jews was taken up for domestic reasons (i.e. the usual dicide and rule stuff Stalin liked to engage in), and began already with the "Doctor's plot" and so on, if not earlier. How much did Israel really have to do with it? How much did the Soviets care about it?
That I honestly don't know. What I do know is that the persecution of Jews intensified in the Brezhnev era after Israel's victory in the 1967 Six Day War. After 1967, AFAIK, the Soviets placed informal Jewish quotas in universities, possibly in employment, et cetera. In other words, it was a form of affirmative action for the Soviet Union's non-Jewish populations.

Reactions: NordicDemosthenes

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Basically, I'm trying to figure out how much immigration Israel is going to get from the (former) Soviet Union if the Soviet Union's Jewish population doesn't suffer extremely massive losses as a result of the Holocaust. I asked this question because no Holocaust also has a significant effect in the sense that there would be less international sympathy for the Jews--which in turn could mean a significantly delayed creation of Israel (with whatever effects that this would have on the Soviet Union and its treatment of its own Jewish population).

Reactions: NordicDemosthenes