Does there exist a family tree for all of the European monarchs?

Jul 2018
United States
I'm particularly interested in the claim that Rollo the Viking is a direct ancestor of every recent European monarch. Obviously, it's difficult to find family trees that span over 1,000 years

Chlodio

Ad Honorem
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Assuming that all recent European monarchs are related to each other, which is probably true, then it would theoretically be possible to draw a single family tree showing all of those monarchs, but such a tree would be incredibly large and complex, impossible to display on a single sheet of paper or on a single computer screen. I've dabbled with drawing family trees, but I find it difficult to portray more than five or six generations on a single sheet of paper.

Moros

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
You don't have to go back 1,000 years . John William Friso, Prince of Orange-Nassau (1687 – 1711) and his wife Marie Louise of Hesse-Kassel (1688 - 1765) are the most recent common ancestors to all the royal houses of Europe. Just goes to show how inter-related they are.

Oct 2013
Europix
Assuming that all recent European monarchs are related to each other, which is probably true, then it would theoretically be possible to draw a single family tree showing all of those monarchs, but such a tree would be incredibly large and complex, impossible to display on a single sheet of paper or on a single computer screen. I've dabbled with drawing family trees, but I find it difficult to portray more than five or six generations on a single sheet of paper.
If it's about accepting that Sisif job, I think You should drop the "tree" idea and use rather a 3D maze.

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
I'm particularly interested in the claim that Rollo the Viking is a direct ancestor of every recent European monarch. Obviously, it's difficult to find family trees that span over 1,000 years
Short Answer yes, Rollo was the ancestor of (almost) every recent European Monarch.

Long answer:

There are only few "recent" European monarchs not closely related to other European Monarchs.

The rival dynasties of modern Serbia, the Obrenovic and Karadordovic dynasties, were Serbian families with no outside ancestors for centuries before they gained power in the 19th and it took some time for them to intermarry with members of the European royal caste. As far as I can tell no member of the Obrenovic rulers was descended from the European royal caste, while Peter II, the last King of Yugoslavia, was the first Karadordovic to be descended from European royalty.

And the same is true of the Petrovic-Njegos dynasty of Montenegro. Nicholas I, the only king of Montenegro, wasn't descended from European royalty.

Zog I, king of Albania, came from a similarly isolated Albanian family, and Muslim to boot, so he had no descent from European royalty.

The Ottoman Padishahs had no descent from European royalty.

The Bernadotte and Bonaparte families had no known descent from the European royal caste at first but later intermarried with them.

So who was Rollo the ancestor of:

Well, obviously Rollo was the ancestor of William the Conqueror, and thus of all Kings of England since 1066, and of all descendants of English princesses since 1066.

According to this site:

Descendancy for Robert Rollo ROGNAVALDSSON, 1st: Carney Family Genealogy

Rollo had a daughter Adele or Gerloc of Normandy who married William III, duke of Aquitaine, and had a daughter Adelaide or Aelis who married Hugh Capet, King of France. So all Capetians have been descended from Rollo.

So it should be simple to search list all the kingdoms of Europe in the era you consider recent. Then search for list of monarchs of [insert the name of kingdom here] to find a Wikipedia list. From the Wikipedia list select the earliest monarch during the '"recent" period. Click on his article. Then clink on his ancestry chart which will usually show 4 generations of ancestors. Check his 16 great great grandparents to see if any one of them was a member of English royalty or a Capetian. If you find a member of English royalty or a Capetian you will know that Monarch and all of his descendants were descended from Rollo.

For example, here is a link to the Wikipedia article on King Frederick I of Denmark and Norway (1471-1533) Frederick I of Denmark - Wikipedia

If you click on his ancestor chart you will see one of his great great grandmothers was Elisabeth of Meissen, who married Frederick V, Burgrave of Nuremburg. My knowledge of royal genealogy tells me that Elisabeth of Meissen is a good lead. If you click on her article and her ancestry chart you will see that two of her great great grandparents were Emperor Frederick II and his third wife Isabella of England. Elisabeth of Meissen - Wikipedia Empress Isabella was in turn was a great great great granddaughter of William the Conqueror and thus a descendant of Rollo.Isabella of England - Wikipedia

Last edited:

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
You don't have to go back 1,000 years . John William Friso, Prince of Orange-Nassau (1687 – 1711) and his wife Marie Louise of Hesse-Kassel (1688 - 1765) are the most recent common ancestors to all the royal houses of Europe. Just goes to show how inter-related they are.
One of the great great grandfathers of Jan William Friso, Prince of Orange-Nassu (1687-1765) John William Friso, Prince of Orange - Wikipedia was Maurice, Landrgrave of Hesse-Kassel (1572-1632) Maurice, Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel - Wikipedia, a great great grandson of Louis II, Landgrave of Lower Hesse (1438-1471) Louis II, Landgrave of Lower Hesse - Wikipedia. Louis II, Landgrave of Lower Hesse (1438-1471) was a great grandson of Frederick V, Burgrave of and his wife elizabethof Meissen. Elisabeth of Meissen - Wikipedia Elizabeth of Meissen was a great great granddaughter of Emperor Frederick II and this third wife Isabella of England. Elisabeth of Meissen - Wikipedia. Isabella of England was in turn a great great great granddaughter of Willliam the Conqueror and thus a descendant of Rollo. Isabella of England - Wikipedia - Empress Matilda - Wikipedia - House of Normandy - Wikipedia.

Jun 2013
ca
sevaral years ago I came upon an article that presented a chart giving a carolingian descent for the bonapartes, thus, if true, they did have royal ancestry.

as for the ottomans, osman I did have serbian and byzantine consorts snd thus are related

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
sevaral years ago I came upon an article that presented a chart giving a carolingian descent for the bonapartes, thus, if true, they did have royal ancestry.

as for the ottomans, osman I did have serbian and byzantine consorts snd thus are related
There is something called polygamy. The Ottomans practiced it, having many wives at the same time. Each son of a Sultan could have only one single mother.

The Ottomans intermarried with European and Muslim dynasties from about 1300 to about 1450. From about 1400 to 1600 each Sultan tried to exterminate all his brothers and half brothers. Thus there are very few lines of descent from brothers of Sultans in this period. And as I said, each son of a Sultan could have only one single mother out of all his father's wives and slaves. To find out what other families the Ottomans are descended from, one has to find out who were the mothers of the Ottoman sultans.

So you can find a copy of A.D. Alderson The Structure of the Ottoman Dynasty (1956) to see who was the mother of each sultan and what, if anything, is known about her ancestry.

Or you could look at the Wikipedia List of mothers of the Ottoman Sultans. List of mothers of the Ottoman sultans - Wikipedia

And you will see that there is are no known descents from European royalty.

If a descent of the Ottomans from the Seljuk sultans of Rum could be found, then the Ottomans would share in the Seljuk claim to descent from European royalty and nobility made by Sultan Kilij Arslan II (reigned 1156-1192).

As Arnold of Lübeck reports in his Chronica Slavorum, he was present at the meeting of Henry the Lion with Kilij-Arslan during the former's pilgrimage to Jerusalem in 1172. When they met near Tarsus, the sultan embraced and kissed the German duke, reminding him that they were blood cousins ('amplexans et deosculans eum, dicens, eum consanguineum suum esse'). When the duke asked for details of this relationship, Kilij Arslan informed him that 'a noble lady from the land of Germans married a king of Russia who had a daughter by her; this daughter's daughter arrived to our land, and I descend from her.'
Kilij Arslan II - Wikipedia

And there is always a slight chance, a very slight chance, that Sultan Mehmet II's claim to be descended from an member of the Comnenus dynasty is true. Sultan Mehmet II claimed that Osman I, founder of the Ottoman state, was the great grandson of John Tzelepes Komnenos, brother of the evil usurper Andronikos I. John Tzelepes Komnenos deserted to the Turks in 1139, converted to Islam, and married a daughter of Seljuk Sultan Mesud I. John Tzelepes Komnenos - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Jun 2013
ca
I do have the charts from that book. they are related to european royalty. this does not necessarily mean there is a line of descent from any given european royal family. as relatives,m they would be included in such a chart

Similar History Discussions