Dominion of Canada - 150th Anniversary

pikeshot1600

Ad Honorem
Jul 2009
Not that I have anything to contribute to it, but on 1 July, 1867 the Dominion of Canada was established from the several colonial possessions of Great Britain.

It deserves a mention, I think.

EDIT: Interestingly, it appears that Prince Edward island and New Foundland both retained their colonial status for some time after 1867.

Last edited:

YouLoveMeYouKnowIt

Ad Honorem
Oct 2013
Canada
Campuses here are calling it Colonialism 150 and are not celebrating.

Many Aboriginals are not celebrating either.

Most are though.

Feb 2017
Canada
Campuses here are calling it Colonialism 150 and are not celebrating.

Many Aboriginals are not celebrating either.

Most are though.
I'm not that cynical about our history. It's not pretty but 21st century Canadians are quite disconnected from 16th and 17th century explorers and colonies. We developed in a different world, in which we no longer live. Might as well just have some fireworks and drink a couple beers without complaining.

I don't, however, care much for the nationalism that Canada day usually entails. A bunch of people with no understanding of our country, it's history, or it's place in the world waving flags and yelling 'Canada, **** yea'. No thanks.

Pendennis

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
Kirkcaldy, Scotland
Youlovemwen .....-well we certainly are celebrating the annivesary of Canada 1867 here in Scotland. We had Justin Trudeau in our capital city last week receiving an honorary degree from Edinburgh University and amusing us with tales of his Scots-Canadian grandfather.
We Scots are also proud of our kinsman McDonald who became the first Prime Minister of Canada in 1867 -and founded the 'Mounties'.
Many other Scots have made an indelible and BENEFICIAL mark on Canada before and after 1867. ranging from novelist John Buchan who as Lord Tweedsmuir was Governor General of Canada when he cointry went to war in 1939.
Simon Fraser uni in Vancouver is also another example of the beneficial colonial influence of Scots on Canada-Simon Fraser pipe band come to Scotland and regularly win the world pipe band championships.
So it is baloney to pretend that colonialism did not bring some substantial benefits to Canada-particularly from Scots emigrants-two of whom McKenzie and Fraser gave their names to Canada's rivers of identical name.

Lord Fairfax

Ad Honorem
Jan 2015
Changing trains at Terrapin Station...
Not that I have anything to contribute to it, but on 1 July, 1867 the Dominion of Canada was established from the several colonial possessions of Great Britain.

It deserves a mention, I think.

EDIT: Interestingly, it appears that Prince Edward island and New Foundland both retained their colonial status for some time after 1867.
I still celebrate Dominion Day

Youlovemwen .....-well we certainly are celebrating the annivesary of Canada 1867 here in Scotland. We had Justin Trudeau in our capital city last week receiving an honorary degree from Edinburgh University and amusing us with tales of his Scots-Canadian grandfather.
We Scots are also proud of our kinsman McDonald who became the first Prime Minister of Canada in 1867 -and founded the 'Mounties'.
Many other Scots have made an indelible and BENEFICIAL mark on Canada before and after 1867. ranging from novelist John Buchan who as Lord Tweedsmuir was Governor General of Canada when he cointry went to war in 1939.
Simon Fraser uni in Vancouver is also another example of the beneficial colonial influence of Scots on Canada-Simon Fraser pipe band come to Scotland and regularly win the world pipe band championships.
So it is baloney to pretend that colonialism did not bring some substantial benefits to Canada-particularly from Scots emigrants-two of whom McKenzie and Fraser gave their names to Canada's rivers of identical name.
Don't forget the Highland Regiments of Canada eh Pendennis? :cool:

Pendennis

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
Kirkcaldy, Scotland
Right on Lord Fairfax as you say. Also regiments like the Princess Pats my late father's Uncle served with them in World War One too.

Lord Fairfax

Ad Honorem
Jan 2015
Changing trains at Terrapin Station...
Right on Lord Fairfax as you say. Also regiments like the Princess Pats my late father's Uncle served with them in World War One too.
An old friend of my parents is the Colonel of the Seaforth Highlanders regiment out here on the West Coast. :cool: