Dominion of Canada - 150th Anniversary

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Not that I have anything to contribute to it, but on 1 July, 1867 the Dominion of Canada was established from the several colonial possessions of Great Britain.

It deserves a mention, I think.

EDIT: Interestingly, it appears that Prince Edward island and New Foundland both retained their colonial status for some time after 1867.
It wasn’t until after WW2 that Newfoundland became a part of Canada. I don’t know how true this is, but I read somewhere that Newfoundland kicked around the idea of merging with the US after the war - the US had some important military bases in Newfoundland. Maybe they were grateful to the Americans for bringing indoor plumbing to the future province.

My family visited Newfoundland briefly on a stopover from Amsterdam in 1947 before it became a part of Canada. Gander airport was filled to bursting with DC3s returning from Europe, which is my main memory of the place.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
It wasn’t until after WW2 that Newfoundland became a part of Canada. I don’t know how true this is, but I read somewhere that Newfoundland kicked around the idea of merging with the US after the war - the US had some important military bases in Newfoundland. Maybe they were grateful to the Americans for bringing indoor plumbing to the future province.
Sicily wanted to join the US after WWII also. Neither idea went anywhere.

Did you know that Sicilian separatists wanted their island to become part of the USA? | History.info

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Right on Lord Fairfax as you say. Also regiments like the Princess Pats my late father's Uncle served with them in World War One too.
When my family lived in Edmonton from 1951 to 1956 in elementary school I learned that “PPCLI” stood for “Peanuts, Popcorn, Candy, Licorice and Ice Cream”, something probably every child heard. Later, I learned it was “Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry”!