Douglas Macarthur: Farewell to Congress.

Apr 2010
What was significant about Douglas Macarthurs Farewell to Congress?
I have a project for school and it asks for some quotes from the document and what I think they mean and most important, why do I think it is significant (important) to US history. Please someone explain what this document is about and give me some important quotes and what they mean! Thanks :D

EDIT: This is the Farewell to Congress written by Douglas Macarthur.

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/douglasmacarthurfarewelladdress.htm

Korean war was going on at the time in 1950. Eisenhower was elected president also.

Last edited:

Comet

Forum Staff
Aug 2006
IA
triple_dz95,

Welcome to the forum!

As much as we would all very much like to help you with your homework, I must point out that we have some criterea that you yourself must meet and would ask that you read these guidelines:

http://www.historum.com/showthread.php?t=5275

If you can meet the requisite criteria, I'm sure you'll find that there are numerous members here who are willing and more than capable of helping you.

I would also add, for the benefit of members ready to respond, that help supplied prior to your having met the requisite criterea will be arbitrarily deleted.

Thank you,

Comet

Lucius

Historum Emeritas
Jan 2007
Nebraska
triple_dz95,

Do you know why MacArthur was in Washington that day instead of Korea? That's the context in which the meaning of his speech must be evaluated.

Apr 2010
triple_dz95,

Do you know why MacArthur was in Washington that day instead of Korea? That's the context in which the meaning of his speech must be evaluated.
Now what do you mean he was in Washington? When he wrote this? I understand he got kicked off the general postioning becuase he wanted to go into china but Predisent Truman didn't want to go that deep into it thats why he took his badge away.

Why was the farewell imporatant to US history? was it because it just showed all the stuff General Macarthur has done for our country?

Lucius

Historum Emeritas
Jan 2007
Nebraska
Now what do you mean he was in Washington? When he wrote this? I understand he got kicked off the general postioning becuase he wanted to go into china but Predisent Truman didn't want to go that deep into it thats why he took his badge away.

Why was the farewell imporatant to US history? was it because it just showed all the stuff General Macarthur has done for our country?
Well, Truman relieved MacArthur because MacArthur had committed insubordination by writing a letter critical of his Commander-in-Chief to Joseph W. Martin, the Republican Minority Leader in the House of Representatives. I don't know about Truman, but if I had been President, I would have regarded such an act by a former Chief of Staff of the US Army and former Commander of the Pacific Theater of War, as an act of a man who had lost his marbles, and so, unfit for duty. In any case, former haberdasher and then current President Truman fired him the next day.

Ten days later, MacArthur was making that speech in Congress. He was interrupted by applause 50 times.

What do think all of that might have to do with that speech being important?

Apr 2010
Well, Truman relieved MacArthur because MacArthur had committed insubordination by writing a letter critical of his Commander-in-Chief to Joseph W. Martin, the Republican Minority Leader in the House of Representatives. I don't know about Truman, but if I had been President, I would have regarded such an act by a former Chief of Staff of the US Army and former Commander of the Pacific Theater of War, as an act of a man who had lost his marbles, and so, unfit for duty. In any case, former haberdasher and then current President Truman fired him the next day.

Ten days later, MacArthur was making that speech in Congress. He was interrupted by applause 50 times.

What do think all of that might have to do with that speech being important?
Never heard the bit about the Chief of Staff or anything like that. Hmm, I still don't know why it was IMPORTANT. I was thinking maybe because General Macarthur did so much for our country and now he was retiring after he got kicked from the position during the Korean War. What does the applause have to do with it? Is it because they were all happy he was leaving and didn't like Macarthur because he was crazy?

I need to find a few quotes from that farewell and explain what they mean too. I need to find why it's Significant.

Comet

Forum Staff
Aug 2006
IA
Never heard the bit about the Chief of Staff or anything like that. Hmm, I still don't know why it was IMPORTANT. I was thinking maybe because General Macarthur did so much for our country and now he was retiring after he got kicked from the position during the Korean War. What does the applause have to do with it? Is it because they were all happy he was leaving and didn't like Macarthur because he was crazy?

I need to find a few quotes from that farewell and explain what they mean too. I need to find why it's Significant.
From what you know and read...why do YOU think its important?