Drake's Passage- the most dangerous sea passage routinely attempted- video from the last voyage of any commercial sailing vessel around Cape Horn

Ichon

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
Flying P line Pamir taking cargoes of nitrates from Chile to Hamburg Germany on its final voyage thru Drake's Passage.

The Pamir sunk in a hurricane 500 miles off the Azores 8 years later.

First time I have seen this footage and it actually makes some of the stories I've heard from sailing ship sailors a bit worse than I had imagined.

This voyage was 93 days from leaving the port of Antofagasta with ships log showing over 40 days in storms and 20 days no winds until 200 miles 'past' the passage to safely turn north.

Last edited:
Mar 2019
Kansas
Flying P line Pamir taking cargoes of nitrates from Chile to Hamburg Germany on its final voyage thru Drake's Passage.

The Pamir sunk in a hurricane 500 miles off the Azores 8 years later.

First time I have seen this footage and it actually makes some of the stories I've heard from sailing ship sailors a bit worse than I had imagined.

This voyage was 93 days from leaving the port of Antofagasta with ships log showing over 40 days in storms and 20 days no winds until 200 miles 'past' the passage to safely turn north.

I dont think that footage is from that voyage.

That being said I have seen footage in a windjammer doing a similar trip. At one point the cameraman, perched high in the rigging films the ship effectively sailing under water with only the pressure from the wind keeping the vessel from sinking. Astonishing technology by any standard.

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA
I have crossed the 'Drakes Passage' a few years back on the way to Antarctica. Though the seas were rather calm near the Cape Horn, it became turbulent and ferocious within a few hours. I was on a modern ship with stabilizers, still by the next day I started feeling seasick, and it went away only after the reaching the calmer seas of the Antarctica. One couldn't see anything beyond a few meters away from the ship, except the rolling seas nearby. I also experienced the same on my way back to Cape Horn.

It was an experience of a lifetime, and I couldn't even imagine what the early mariners had endured on sailing ships there hundreds of years ago.

Mar 2019
Kansas
It was an experience of a lifetime, and I couldn't even imagine what the early mariners had endured on sailing ships there hundreds of years ago.
When William Bligh tried to take the Bounty through the passage on his ill fated voyage, they sailed past the same point of land 14 times, before finally giving up and going the long way round

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA
When William Bligh tried to take the Bounty through the passage on his ill fated voyage, they sailed past the same point of land 14 times, before finally giving up and going the long way round
Interesting. Wondering why Captain Bligh didn't take the Strait of Magellan to cross into Pacific.

Ichon

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
I dont think that footage is from that voyage.

That being said I have seen footage in a windjammer doing a similar trip. At one point the cameraman, perched high in the rigging films the ship effectively sailing under water with only the pressure from the wind keeping the vessel from sinking. Astonishing technology by any standard.
The man talking for a large part of the clip definitely says it was from the final voyage thru the passage- not the sinking 8 years later but there might be some clips at the start that show the ship that aren't from that trip and at least far as I can tell without checking the film most of the footage is authentic to 1949 camera.

Mar 2019
Kansas
The man talking for a large part of the clip definitely says it was from the final voyage thru the passage- not the sinking 8 years later but there might be some clips at the start that show the ship that aren't from that trip and at least far as I can tell without checking the film most of the footage is authentic to 1949 camera.
I dont know if you may have posted the wrong video. But the one in this thread is the 1929 film made by Irving Johnson, describing his trip around the Horn on the sailing ship Peking.

Ichon

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
I dont know if you may have posted the wrong video. But the one in this thread is the 1929 film made by Irving Johnson, describing his trip around the Horn on the sailing ship Peking.
Wow, ok I did somehow post the wrong video. WTH- lol I will try to find the correct video via browser history.