Drawing the prophet: Islam’s hidden history of Muhammad images

JoanOfArc007

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
USA
If one looks at Persian history they will note the most beautiful portraits of Muhammad....drawn by Muslims....

Ban on depictions has not always been absolute – Islam has a rich heritage of images and icons dating back to the 13th century

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/10/drawing-prophet-islam-muhammad-images

We have heard it before...a picture is worth a thousand words... From the following picture, a most glorious picture depicting Muhammad and Jesus....

Isaiah’s vision of Jesus riding a donkey and Muhammad riding a camel, al-Biruni, al-Athar al-Baqiyya ‘an al-Qurun al-Khaliyya (Chronology of Ancient Nations), Tabriz, Iran, 1307-8. Edinburgh University Library. EDINBURGH UNIVERSITY LIBRARY

http://tarekfatah.com/images-of-prophet-muhammad-from-islamic-art-and-history-before-the-clan-of-ibn-saud-took-islam-hostage/

I am influenced to appreciate Muhammad. One can compare the above rendition of Muhammad compared to the ugly portraits of Muhammad at the anti Muhammad cartoon events around the world. Now the difference between the portraits of Muhammad I show itt is that I show real historic portraits drawn by Muslims of the middle ages...compare this to the so called artists who draw Muhammad in an unflattering manner. As a Christian, I greatly enjoy studying portraits of Jesus, they inspire me as do the portraits of Muhammad inspire me. And btw to this day Iran welcomes portraits of Muhammad so long as they are drawn in a respectable fashion.

ISIL members and even anti Islamic non Muslims fear these pictures, because they know once the real Islamic history gets out...that more and more non Muslims will see in Muslim history a similarity to Christian history ie expansive empires, beautiful artwork, contributions to scholarly fields, and certainly things were not always perfect for the Muslims of history just like with any other group. Make no mistake though, these historic images of Muhammad speak volumes of the Muslims.

Last edited:

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Well, I heard that the main problem was about identification. I thought that Muslims tend to represent Muhammad with flames covering his face.

Anyway, I don't grasp which are the scriptural [meaning Koran] bases to ban the depiction of the figure of Muhammad.

In fact, I'm not aware that in the Koran there is an explicit prohibition to represent living beings. It's in the "hadith" that there is something similar ... but other hadiths didn't prohibit this.

Anyway, I would dismiss the "hadith" as human works and I would consider only the Koran. The Koran doesn't prohibit to represent living beings. So that to depict Muhammad is licit.

Jul 2014
world
If one looks at Persian history they will note the most beautiful portraits of Muhammad....drawn by Muslims....

Ban on depictions has not always been absolute – Islam has a rich heritage of images and icons dating back to the 13th century

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/10/drawing-prophet-islam-muhammad-images

We have heard it before...a picture is worth a thousand words... From the following picture, a most glorious picture depicting Muhammad and Jesus....

Isaiah’s vision of Jesus riding a donkey and Muhammad riding a camel, al-Biruni, al-Athar al-Baqiyya ‘an al-Qurun al-Khaliyya (Chronology of Ancient Nations), Tabriz, Iran, 1307-8. Edinburgh University Library. EDINBURGH UNIVERSITY LIBRARY

Images of Prophet Muhammad from Islamic Art and History before the clan of Ibn Saud took Muslims hostage ? Tarek Fatah

I am influenced to appreciate Muhammad. One can compare the above rendition of Muhammad compared to the ugly portraits of Muhammad at the anti Muhammad cartoon events around the world. Now the difference between the portraits of Muhammad I show itt is that I show real historic portraits drawn by Muslims of the middle ages...compare this to the so called artists who draw Muhammad in an unflattering manner. As a Christian, I greatly enjoy studying portraits of Jesus, they inspire me as do the portraits of Muhammad inspire me. And btw to this day Iran welcomes portraits of Muhammad so long as they are drawn in a respectable fashion.

ISIL members and even anti Islamic non Muslims fear these pictures, because they know once the real Islamic history gets out...that more and more non Muslims will see in Muslim history a similarity to Christian history ie expansive empires, beautiful artwork, contributions to scholarly fields, and certainly things were not always perfect for the Muslims of history just like with any other group. Make no mistake though, these historic images of Muhammad speak volumes of the Muslims.
Muhammad looks very Central Asian.

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
The prohibition is against representing any human being... That is why in most muslim art there are only objects or arabic writing or symbols (persians being an exception)

This came to be a major problem when photography appeared... ID photos are tolerated so far... but this prohibition is one more reason why Islam is not fit for the 21st century