drinking cup bowl antique ?

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Strange that there's a lid on a drinking cup. Is the bottom scorched as if used for cooking? I note the size is right for a drinking cup and too small for a cook pot.

Can you tell us anything about where it was found, how old it is, etc?

Apr 2019
germany
It was probably only used for drinking.
Material is copper. The lower rent is rounded.
I suspect that it is around 1600 century. You can clearly see age traces

Attachments

Edratman

Forum Staff
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
I do not like the round bottom for a cup.

But more importantly, I do not like the absence of any residual manufacturing marks, such as hammer marks or the circular rings resulting from spinning. Of course the marks could have been polished off, but the vessel is too plain and nondescript to warrant such a finishing operation.

If pressed I would think this is of more modern origins, say the last 100 years.

Apr 2019
germany
Hello
it is very strong patina on the cup. Presumably it was wine-making!?. Can it be a small urn? It's definitely old.
At the bottom and lid center is a small dot exactly in the middle. Probably to center. The piece is from Würzburg, Germany.

Edratman

Forum Staff
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
Hello
it is very strong patina on the cup. Presumably it was wine-making!?. Can it be a small urn? It's definitely old.
At the bottom and lid center is a small dot exactly in the middle. Probably to center. The piece is from Würzburg, Germany.
The small dots are a strong indication that the cup was spun on a lathe. That would date the vessel to post industrial revolution.

Metal spinning, also known as spin forming or spinning or metal turning most commonly, is a metalworking process by which a disc or tube of metal is rotated at high speed and formed into an axially symmetric part.[1] Spinning can be performed by hand or by a CNC lathe.
Metal spinning does not involve removal of material, as in conventional wood or metal turning, but forming (moulding) of sheet material over an existing shape.
Metal spinning ranges from an artisan's specialty to the most advantageous way to form round metal parts for commercial applications. Artisans use the process to produce architectural detail, specialty lighting, decorative household goods and urns.

Metal spinning - Wikipedia

Reactions: Todd Feinman
Jul 2019
Ukraine
Grandma taught me to love old things. Probably thanks to her, I now can not imagine my life without vintage! The other day my husband gave me a wonderful antique world map canvas and I immediately fell in love with her. I went to the siteTexelprintstore.com and was surprised how much inspiration they have for each day! I think every person needs something special and ... old, but in excellent quality :)

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
It's not old. It was spun on a lathe in the last couple of centuries. The patina tells you nothing. Copper can develop a patina like that in only a few years. If you put wine in it and don't wash it out properly, a patina like that can develop within days.

Last edited: