Duchy of Arabia / Calcarba - from ? to 1182AD

Dec 2019
Australia
Hi I am looking for information on the following
(a) I am looking for a map of the Duchy or Dukedom of Arabia which ended with the advance of Saladin in 1182
(b) Information on the life and times of its only ruler Calcarba or Calcarbus
(c) his christian name (the above was a nickname) ? de Steddenham
(d) Information on his daughter Clarissa and who his wife might have been
(e) information of his son John le Stedman

info i have to date:
Calcarba is derived from calcar meaning spur as he had a reputation for being a man of haste and action.
A nobleman from Stedham, Sussex, England who went on pilgrimage in year unknown and set himself up a dukedom
Abandoned dukedom with the advance of Saladin in 1182 and headed for Jerusalem to join the defense of the city with his two children John & Clarissa but he died on the way

John de Steddenhan allied with Richard Coeur de lion
They 1192 returned together by ship across Mediterranean, the ship was wrecked in the Adriatic Sea near the coast of Italy; and Richard, together with his companions, undertook to travel afoot from Italy to the west coast of the European continent nearest to England. While passing through Germany, he and his companions were seized and held as prisoners, because of an offense which Richard previously had given to the Duke of Austria. In 1194 the prisoners were ransomed, and they proceeded on their way to England.

Was made a Knight of the Holy Sepulchre by Richard on return to England
Various tales of a holy chalice.

No further info on Clarissa, no knowledge of the childrens mother

long version here: History of the Stedman Surname
I've had no luck searching the internet for maps or further info on Calcarba. Perhaps there are old books in existence not yet digitized that may reveal more.

Thanks in advance for any contribution s that may add to what is known.

Ichon

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
News to me- never heard of this Duchy of Arabia before your post. I rather suspect it was a title created later on by the 'descendants' to glorify their ancestor. Maybe there was an ancestor in the Levant who travelled back to England with Richard but that he was of any high pedigree or even allowed to claim the title of 'duke' I sincerely doubt as that would place him above other nobles with far better records of their status and fiefs. The earliest mention is some letter writing from 1699 in an age when having a long pedigree was extremely popular and all sort of things were embellished or made completely based on the imagination of the person who wanted the family history to be suitably impressive while at the same time hard to disprove.

Too many elements of the story are embellished with legendary facts like the Knights of the Sepulchre being very much a legendary order with Canons of the Holy Sepulchre being an actual order and having various convents but the title of Knight of the Holy Sepulchre meant took up arms on the Crusade and actually was knighted in Jerusalem there are some records that it was a prized ceremony that did occur but to call oneself a Knight of the Sepulchre required being under arms in Jerusalem and knighted in the temple. Not something that could be given out later by Richard in England though as a returning Crusader probably still had some status attached.

I am not aware of any lists of the Knights of the Sepulchre though there are a handful of notable personages that claimed this rite with some truth- it could be a knight in the retinue of Richard was privileged to attend such a ceremony. Many pilgrimage sites offered remissions of sins as a way of drawing more pilgrims (and their money) and at the time a ceremony in Jerusalem at the Temp[le was probably the height of such offers short of the Pope himself writing a special dispensation.

Last edited:

johnincornwall

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Cornwall
News to me- never heard of this Duchy of Arabia before your post.
It seems that creating the Duchy of Arabia can get you 400 prestige, in this game:

Computer games aside I'm not sure the Crusader States went too near Arabia.

Dec 2019
Australia
Thanks both for your input, i'm not after prestige points :) but even in your game context it is just prior to the 2nd crusade; being disbanded in 1182 in anticipation of the approach of Saladin.
Ichon: with regard to pedigree.. the earliest recorded generations of the lineage are described as the most powerful outside of the monarchy. The article I shared is not the full known history of the family, most of the ascendancy is recorded in other articles, I'm focusing on this part of the bloodline due to is historical significance rather than it being the earliest part of the known lineage.. I'm also interested in a latter section circa 1798 that I haven't mentioned.. yet,
I'm not as quickly dismissive as you on the veracity of the bloodline & attached legends, given I have seen much more extensive genealogical lines mapped out through the centuries since. I certainly am of the opinion that the characters mentioned are both real and of the said bloodline, it's highly probable there is inaccuracy in the story telling.. perhaps he may have been knighted in Jerusalem rather than England, he was gifted a wife; Joan daughter of Sir John Tatteshall of Kent, Knight (and inheritor of the Tatteshall estate)
most of the children of each generation from what I can see are identified through wills rather what we would use nowadays.. birth certificates... bearing in mind only nobility had surnames until several hundred years after this point, a commoner would be untraceable. Anyway thanks both for your input, I realize I'm drawing a longbow to get any relevant info. but if you don't ask, you wont receive... casting a long net might be the appropriate expression :)

johnincornwall

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Cornwall
I don't want to nitpick but the 2nd crusade was 1147-49

Crusades of course only refer to Christian action. Bizarre system really.