During slavery were the enslaved treated by doctors or vets?

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Just because somebody has an interesting in acquiring knowledge about how things worked during that era is neither disturbing nor racist.
Agreed.

By the way, why did you quoted me before making that statement? Seems out of topic with my post.

Recalling that "that era" is from the beginning of times until the 20th century.

Sep 2014
Texas
I don’t know if this was an urban myth. Were doctors only allowed to treat ‘free’ people? Were ‘free’ or ‘white ‘ citizens regarded as ‘human’ so got treated but blacks or ‘negroes’ classed as ‘sub human’ so had to be seen by vets?

At the time blacks were Classed as ‘3/5ths of a man’ based on constitution and voting rules and clearly treated accordingly in society
Each plantation had someone schooled (not literally in the arts of fixing bones and birthing babies...usually a Black man or woman. If you could get to town there was a doctor...if not a local would help out.

redcoat

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Stockport Cheshire UK
I suppose it would depend on how much the owners thought they were worth, a house slave who the family was fond of might well get to see a doctor, but a field hand would probably have to be treated by home remedies

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
I once read an account of Andrew Jackson treating himself by reading a medical book which means that there was no doctor in the neighborhood. He lived on a plantation.
Jefferson, too.

I have no idea why someone in possession of a valuable asset, like a slave, would not seek competent treatment. When your car breaks down, do you hire an idiot to fix it?

Angelica

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Angel City
Amusing....think....a vet to treat human ailments? Slaves were assets for great wealth and a good economy they wanted them healthy. I know racism is "alive and kicking" please keep it to yourself don't spread it around.

Nemowork

Ad Honorem
Jan 2011
South of the barcodes
Why is it racism?

There is too much bad infomation that gets into the system.the Nazis classed jews and Slavs as sub-human, so does that mean they are literally not human and cant get doctors?
Likewise in the slave system the were viewed in the hardline states as barely human, unable to control their emotions and barely capable of thought.

Lekbo came up with some facts and asked if it was false, he got an answer to the question.

Doesnt that end some of the spread of racism your complaining about?

Feb 2018
Texas
Importation of slaves into the United States was prohibited after 1808 so slaves were generally treated well in America as they represented a considerable investment . (Sure, a few continued to be smuggled in).