Dutch Conquest of Java

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
I don’t know much about the Dutch Conquest of Java in particular and of the Dutch East Indies in general, and I think that is a theme often not mentioned that much, but that explains how the Dutch controlled the territory that formed Indonesia, so I decided to open a thread about this theme, so the users can suggest books, post links to works and sources and change ideas.

Mar 2019
Kansas
I don’t know much about the Dutch Conquest of Java in particular and of the Dutch East Indies in general, and I think that is a theme often not mentioned that much, but that explains how the Dutch controlled the territory that formed Indonesia, so I decided to open a thread about this theme, so the users can suggest books, post links to works and sources and change ideas.
Pretty much the Dutch government gave a license to go beat on the natives. And the VOC did as instructed lol

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Pretty much the Dutch government gave a license to go beat on the natives. And the VOC did as instructed lol
There is some misconception there. Java, and the territories that today belong to Indonesia were mostly conquered in the 19th century and even in the 20th. At a time that VOC didn’t existed anymore.

We can begin with the basics for those like me don’t know much about the theme:

Dutch East India Company - Wikipedia
Batavia, Dutch East Indies - Wikipedia
Puputan - Wikipedia
Java War - Wikipedia
Padri War - Wikipedia
Aceh War - Wikipedia
Dutch intervention in Bali (1906) - Wikipedia

But I really was thinking more about reading an academic study, an article, that would focus more in the military aspects and in the use of locals as mercenaries/auxiliaries.

For instance, in the Portuguese Timor, the Portuguese often used locals to pacify the region. Some of those local forces were head hunters and “paid” with heads.

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
Tough to help you. Most of what I know is in Dutch. Maybe I can find some in some more barbaric languages, but I doubt it (on short notice that is). What I can tell you is that most research is focused on the trade and less on what happened on the ground (basically as it was for the VOC).

On the voyages: das
Light, but nice overview (probably you already know this, but it is a nice site, so I put it up anyway): The Dutch East India Company (VOC): Indonesian Chapter [with PHOTOS]
And a good starting point: Region: - The Dutch in the World - The University of Iowa and List of works about the Dutch East India Company - Wikipedia
This one has a lot (with original material), but is in Dutch: VOC-Kenniscentrum you prolly immediately should go to this one VOC-Kenniscentrum - Beknopt literatuuroverzicht

Reactions: Tulius