Dzungaria and Hungary?

Feb 2017
The Rainforests
Dzungaria is an old name of the land to the south west of Mongolia I think. Is there a connection between the two similar sounding words?But from what I know Hungary in Hungarian language isn't called anything similar to Dzungaria or Hungary. Hungary is called Magyarország in their own language. Anyone can enlighten me on the connection if there is one?

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
There is no connection. The name "Dzungaria" is much younger. It dates from the 16-17th century.

Jan 2020
cumberstone
Dzungaria is an old name of the land to the south west of Mongolia I think. Is there a connection between the two similar sounding words?But from what I know Hungary in Hungarian language isn't called anything similar to Dzungaria or Hungary. Hungary is called Magyarország in their own language. Anyone can enlighten me on the connection if there is one?
I like this logic.
Anglia was the traditional Latin name for England.
Angola is an African coutry.
Both have similar names, maybe they have the same origin ethnically....

Feb 2017
The Rainforests
I like this logic.
Anglia was the traditional Latin name for England.
Angola is an African coutry.
Both have similar names, maybe they have the same origin ethnically....
Somebody obviously doesn't know the basic history of the Xiongnu and the Huns. :p

Reactions: sparticulous
Feb 2017
The Rainforests
Huns borrowed the name from Xiongnu, but whether they were ethnically related is very much controversial.
Yes. That is open to interpretation. But at least there is some suspected connection unlike nonsense comments about England and Africa.

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
Yes. That is open to interpretation. But at least there is some suspected connection unlike nonsense comments about England and Africa.
Sorry, I don't exactly see the meaning of the comment: do You imply a connection between Huns and Hungarians?

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Sorry, I don't exactly see the meaning of the comment: do You imply a connection between Huns and Hungarians?
Only that they lived in the same place. Huns settled in Ancient Pannonia which later became known in some places as Hungary - the land of the Huns. Magyars also settled in Hungary thereby becoming Hungarians - people who live in Hungary. As far as I know there are no ethnic links between Huns and Magyars, just a geographic link.

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
Not sure it's even geographic. Hungary is called Hungary because they turned up, ran around Europe plundering – "Hun"-style like, before settling in the plains that ended up as Hungary – and so the connection between the Magyar and the previous Huns was done in the general European imagination, several centuries after the actual Huns.

Jan 2020
cumberstone
Hungary is called Hungary because they turned up, ran around Europe plundering – "Hun"-style like, before settling in the plains that ended up as Hungary – and so the connection between the Magyar and the previous Huns was done in the general European imagination, several centuries after the actual Huns.
Wrong. The name Hungary had no roots in Huns. It has no relationship with the name of Hungary. Read about it here: Name of Hungary - Wikipedia