Early Asian immigration to North America

May 2019
Earth
all earlier chinese that go to america are cantonese descent.
No, not all. Just the majority. There were a minority of Chinese from other parts of the country who went to America in the early waves of immigration. For example, people from Fujian.

Additionally, I have seen evidence of some Chinese from Shanghai going to North America. For example, on page 46 of the book 'The Chinese in Latin America and the Caribbean' (ed. Walton Look Lai, Chee Beng Tan) it claims that "Two of the three French vessels which sailed to Martinique and Guadeloupe in the 1860s also recruited their passengers from Shanghai, rather than Guangdong or Fujian."

Edit: By the way, I forgot to mention that there is speculation that Ho Chi Minh spent some time in the 1910s working in New York City, which would have made him one of the earliest recorded Vietnamese immigrants to the USA if it is true.

Last edited:
May 2017
China
No, not all. Just the majority. There were a minority of Chinese from other parts of the country who went to America in the early waves of immigration. For example, people from Fujian.

Additionally, I have seen evidence of some Chinese from Shanghai going to North America. For example, on page 46 of the book 'The Chinese in Latin America and the Caribbean' (ed. Walton Look Lai, Chee Beng Tan) it claims that "Two of the three French vessels which sailed to Martinique and Guadeloupe in the 1860s also recruited their passengers from Shanghai, rather than Guangdong or Fujian."

Edit: By the way, I forgot to mention that there is speculation that Ho Chi Minh spent some time in the 1910s working in New York City, which would have made him one of the earliest recorded Vietnamese immigrants to the USA if it is true.
yes i know, most of chinese in north america are cantonese from guangdong.

i don't know much about ho chi minh and vietnamese immigrant.

May 2019
Earth
he was not called Ho chi minh then but Nguyen ( the Vietnamese equivalent of Smith ) with the last part changing often
Imo, Nguyen in Vietnam is even more common than Smith in the Anglophone world :p

To the op, there was also some immigration from the Indian Subcontinent to North America during the early period. This article might give you some background: Indian Americans - Wikipedia

Reactions: sparky