East Asian Axe weapons

Jul 2019
Victoria
Whilst reading about the accounts of the early accounts of the Imjin Invasion, i can sometimes find the words Ddoggi (literally meaning Axe) being used when the records describe officers like Gim Yu Mul wrathfully charging into Japanese pike-lines or militia commanders such as Jo-Hun presenting an edict to the king accompanied with an axe (he was thought to be partially insane). But the Koreans have little records of Axes being used in battlefield after the 15th century and no axe treaties are included in the Muyedobotongji.

So what did East Asian axes look like and how were they used? I've only seen Song dynasty depictions and Japanese records, and Japanese records are heavily biased and often represent the Koreans in similar fashion to those in the Romance of the Three Kingdoms. 회본태합기의_김여물_삽화.jpg

Here's a Japanese woodblock etching depicting the officer Gim charging into his doom. The axe is in reminiscent of Joseon ceremonial props.

Jul 2019
Victoria
2 examples of Han Dynasty axes, used by charioteers:
View attachment 24311
Song_axeman.pngView attachment 24312

Looks quite comparable to the axe from the Japanese woodblock etching you shared.
Right and the han dynasty one looks similiar the Song dynasty one as well, but i have to assume they are heavily stylised because i mean, look at the size of that width! I am hoping that someone might be able to contribute an actual survival East Asian Axe if possible.

Jul 2019
Ghana
Right and the han dynasty one looks similiar the Song dynasty one as well, but i have to assume they are heavily stylised because i mean, look at the size of that width! I am hoping that someone might be able to contribute an actual survival East Asian Axe if possible.
Perhaps they are stylized, I'm not sure and wouldn't want to assume. What can be said is that chariots seem to be used mostly as a command platform during the Han Dynasty, not necessarily frontline stuff. If you'll note, both chariots are also stocked with spears, angled backwards, and those may have actually been their primary weapons, with the battle axe serving a more symbolic purpose, sign of authority, somewhat like a flag. In that case, it may actually have been of an exaggerated size. But I'm no expert, not by a long shot.

Either way, here's a link to Han Dynasty axes in the archaeological record, from Wikimedia Commons. They definitely look a lot more functional...

Reactions: Obsessive Feeder
Jul 2019
Victoria
Perhaps they are stylized, I'm not sure and wouldn't want to assume. What can be said is that chariots seem to be used mostly as a command platform during the Han Dynasty, not necessarily frontline stuff. If you'll note, both chariots are also stocked with spears, angled backwards, and those may have actually been their primary weapons, with the battle axe serving a more symbolic purpose, sign of authority, somewhat like a flag. In that case, it may actually have been of an exaggerated size. But I'm no expert, not by a long shot.

Either way, here's a link to Han Dynasty axes in the archaeological record, from Wikimedia Commons. They definitely look a lot more functional...

Yes, those Han axe's seem to be very realistic for actual combat usage. So thank you. I've also researched that the Ming dynasty also utilised the similar stylised axes in treaties according to a Ming officer named Cheng Zi Yi. Hopely someone adequate in Chinese martial arts can also fill in. 065f0f_da73ba88fedd40f095e73c7b6a75ac46_mv2.gif

Reactions: Sundiata1
May 2009
Here's a good site I found full of Chinese paintings from various periods, especially pictures of Khitans, Mongols, etc. Every pic links to more pics. Its basically a Pinterest kind of site.

Last edited:
Reactions: Obsessive Feeder
Jul 2019
Victoria
Here's a good site I found full of Chinese paintings from various periods, especially pictures of Khitans, Mongols, etc. Every pic links to more pics. Its basically a Pinterest kind of site.

Thank you very much!, this is exactly what i want. I don't think i will be sleeping for few days.

Reactions: stevapalooza