Easter Rising 1916 (Youtube Video)

annelouise17

Ad Honorem
Aug 2011
Amerikay
It's the story of the poor Sherwoods who blundered into an enemy force presenting a perfect target. You should praise the men of the DMP station who held out of days against the risers despite being wholly unarmed. Or the half dozen soldiers protecting Dublin Castle who fought off a much larger force? Or the Trinity OTC who broke out their weapons and joined the fight?
Then British sent unarmed men in the line of fire, how unprofessional?

SirOrmondeWinter

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
I may well do a special episode on the Custom House disaster actually.

It's not healthy to hold on to this stuff mate - it happened a century ago. Let it go. Relax.
From the person commemorating it? That's a bit rich, we have to stop the Irish Nationalists 'celebrating' this and make them car, mate.

Jan 2010
Ireland
From the person commemorating it? That's a bit rich, we have to stop the Irish Nationalists 'celebrating' this and make them car, mate.
I'm not commemorating it!

I understand you're from the unionist persuasion, but have a look at my post history I'm not some typical Republican or whatever.

Jan 2010
Ireland
Hey guys. I just put up my most recent one. It's a bit ambitious, it tries to sum up the events between the Easter Rising and the 1918 election. Thanks.

Mar 2015
Yorkshire
Very good - I liked it a lot - much more natural than earlier episodes.

Its a case study in how a small bunch of violent men can derail a political process which is seemingly heading to a peaceful and satisfactory conclusion for the majority of its citizens.

I know you have done your best to be even-handed but its clear you have a sneaking pride (as do most Irish people today) in the separation of Ireland from the remainder of the British Isles.

I think in earlier episodes you could have made more of the methods that prior to the Rising, violence and intimidation were used culminating in the Easter Rising to provoke an over-reaction by the British Authorities, not just the executions but sweeping up thousands of innocents into detention where (like Collins) they become radicalised and committed. Then realising their mistake the authorities overreact in the opposite direction, granting freedom to De Valera and looking soft.

Finally undermining the forces of moderation by a stupid act - Conscription - which they had been so wise to avoid previously.

Poor Redmond, he looks so old, weak and worn out.

Now I will reveal my colours - I have of English\Irish (catholic) grandparents and I regard the separation of our nations a great tragedy.

PS - the only bit that grated was your comment that that London still does not understand the Irish.

Last edited:
Jan 2010
Ireland
Very good - I liked it a lot - much more natural than earlier episodes.
Thanks!

I know you have done your best to be even-handed but its clear you have a sneaking pride (as do most Irish people today) in the separation of Ireland from the remainder of the British Isles.
I try to be fair where possible but we all have our biases. Of course I'm proud of my country - it would be a shame if I weren't. Presumably you're proud of your country?

Poor Redmond, he looks so old, weak and worn out.
Yep. It's kind of tragic that he was to die in 1918. Did you know his son went on to have a political career in the Free State in the 1920s? I think the Redmondite Waterford stronghold died out with him though.

PS - the only bit that grated was your comment that that London still does not understand the Irish.
I'm sorry but it is simply true. The Brexit negotiations have revealed a lot of things, particuarly how little the average British person knows about Ireland. Look at Rees Mogg with his comment the other day, 'bring back the troubles' basically. Interviewing British people on the street it's clear that half of them think the Republic is a province of the UK. I'm sorry, but I have a lot of experience in this. Or Brits being so upset and surprised by depictions of the famine in a British TV show - the average British person knows next to nothing about Ireland. That's the great tragedy. That's the root of it all. We never were a normal part of the Union.