Eastern Philosophy vs Western Philosophy

Do you prefer Eastern or Western Philosophy?

• Total voters

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
I find some of the themes addressed in Western philosophy more interesting. For example, a lot of Western philosophy looks into the question "how do you know what you know?". Are ideas innate, or do we learn them from experience?. That doesn't seem to be a topic that interested Eastern philosophy.

Western philosophy has more practical theoretical application. For example, the US Constitution was heavily shaped by Locke's ideas. The question as to why governments exist in the first place, and their purpose, is not something that Eastern philosophy addresses. Eastern philosophy like Confucius might discuss how a ruler should behave, but not why governments arose, and how they came to be.

I don't know what martial arts you've came across, but not all western martial arts are full contact at all. Krav Maga for example, is not. Furthermore, I think you need to distinguish modern combat sports from traditional martial arts, they developed in a wholly different environment.

Even with combat sports, the vast majority of modern popular combat sports originated from Japan (and in extension China) or Thailand, which are eastern and full contact. Most striking arts today in MMA are either Kickboxing (which came from Karate and boxing) or Muaythai, boxing and wrestling being the only element of western combat present. Grappling are almost entirely dominated by Brazilian Jujitsu or Sambo, both of which ultimately originated from Judo. Kicking arts in the majority of combat sports today ultimately came from either Karate or Muaythai. Only the hands are from boxing.
I've not come across, I've competed and practiced them.

Krav Maga is hardly a traditional "Western" martial art is it, it was created within the last 50 years by Israelis, I don't think that really qualifies.

Name me a Western combat sport which isn't full contact?

I don't need martial arts preached to me I've been doing them all my life, the only Eastern arts which are full contact from sparring to competition are Judo, Muay thai and Lethwei.

Traditional Ju-Jitsu is no hits to the face, Karate is no hits to the face only in specially arranged matches, Kung-Fu is no hits to the face.

Dec 2011
Iowa USA
Islamic philosophy of the golden age is in many ways a peculiar development of Classical Greek philosophy building on Aristotle, Plato etc., and can be compared to the Christian philosophy of the high Middle Ages, which did the same in a different way. So our neat schemes of classification always prove inadeqaute in the end. Personally I would set both western philosophy and classical Islamic philosophy against the wholly different philosphical traditions of India and China, which have completely separate roots and assumptions. I don't know anything about later Islamic or Middle Eastern thought. As western philosophy I would include anything ultimately derived from the European tradition, wherever it is practised (including in the East). There are complicated interactions between different philosophical traditons, e.g it is possible to take an analytic approach to eastern philosophies, while western thinkers have often found it fruitful to draw from eastern thought in approaching the philosophy of mind and consciousness for instance.
Nicely written, Linschoten.

Of course the middle east, as we call it today, also had the Hellenistic era so it reasonable that in the tenth century the Islamic thinkers were studying Plato?

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
here
I've not come across, I've competed and practiced them.

Krav Maga is hardly a traditional "Western" martial art is it, it was created within the last 50 years by Israelis, I don't think that really qualifies.

Name me a Western combat sport which isn't full contact?

I don't need martial arts preached to me I've been doing them all my life, the only Eastern arts which are full contact from sparring to competition are Judo, Muay thai and Lethwei.

Traditional Ju-Jitsu is no hits to the face, Karate is no hits to the face only in specially arranged matches, Kung-Fu is no hits to the face.
Look at that! Me and Mamluk agreeing on something for once.

Would you consider Sanda/San Shou an Eastern art? That seems to be another art that has full contact sparring.

But yeah, I generally agree with you here.

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
here
As for the OP, I voted both. Recently I've become drawn to Buddhism (an "eastern," philosophy) and maybe more specifically to what some people call Secular Buddhism, and I notice many similarities to Stoicism (a "western," philosophy.) So, I don't think it's a good idea to say that one is better than the other, treat it like a salad bar: pick and choose what suits you regardless from which camp it may have come from.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
You know why Japanese martial arts generally don't have hits to the face?

Because, during pre-modern Japan's wars, when you defeated your opponent, you were supposed to cut his head off to present to your lord and gain honour and rewards. It wasn't any good if the head was so disfigured that it couldn't be identified.

I believe Thai Muay Chaiya/Muay Boran have hits to the head. No idea about the face.

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
here

Because, during pre-modern Japan's wars, when you defeated your opponent, you were supposed to cut his head off to present to your lord and gain honour and rewards. It wasn't any good if the head was so disfigured that it couldn't be identified.

I believe Thai Muay Chaiya/Muay Boran have hits to the head. No idea about the face.
I'm not sure that holds up.

Take Kyokushin Karate for example: you can't strike the face with your fists, but you can kick to the head/face.

holoow

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Vilnius, Lithuania
Western.

I find Western philosophy is more practical, Eastern philosophy is fluffy and excessive.

A lot of trying to sound wise > true practicality.

Warfare and martial arts are two areas where this is very evident for me.

Eastern Martial arts for e.g has a lot of philosophy in it yet they avoid full contact sparring and competition which leads to a dilution in effectiveness.

Every Western Martial art is full contact, which means when you use it you know what works.

I find this is a good reflection of a lot of differences between East & West.
Eastern vs Western thinking: Sun Tzu 'Art of War' is still relevant for humanity while no one cares about Aristotle or Plato ideas ( what the hell is 'active intellect'?!!! How can you use it practically ? ).

The real reason is they just don't like getting hit in the face because lets be honest, they could of changed the rules 100 years ago when they stopped lobbing people's heads off.

Issue is it takes away an essential aspect of combat, for e.g Karate blocks are crap, wax on, wax off, if you try blocking punches like that from a boxer you'll get busted.

It removes the realism which is why MMA doesn't use traditional martial arts, Khagan mentioned Ju Jitsu being prevalent in MMA, well no Brazilian Ju-Jitsu is why? ........... because again, a Western country took the art, removed the fluff and made it street worthy, the Japanese should of done this years ago.

I respect Judo and Muay Thai, but the rest of it is all fluff, even Judo though has issues because its so focused on using an opponents lapels where as wrestling doesn't need clothing to work, hence Western practicality over Eastern fluff.

The one good thing about MMA is it exposed all the BS people believed in the 80's, people were actually coming into the UFC claiming they were trained Ninja ........ then getting battered by a wrestler, who again Khagan forgot to mention, Wrestlers practically run MMA.

Daniel Cormier, Jon Jones, GSP all mainly do wrestling as their base even more so that Ju-Jitsu or Sambo.

Eastern vs Western thinking: Sun Tzu 'Art of War' is still relevant for humanity while no one cares about Aristotle or Plato ideas ( what the hell is 'active intellect'?!!! How can you use it practically ? ).
I'll take your Sun Tzu and raise you Machiavelli the prince.

Also look at the war philosophies of the 18th Century, Napoleon, Frederich the Great, the Naval Admirals and Captains of the Spanish and British, Romes legions, the Phalangist's of Alexander the Great etc,

The East may have fancy worded books but the West produced Generals and put in place practices and war evolution's which changed the world.

Similar History Discussions