Education around the world

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
Found this ranking of the top educational systems in the world. Compiled by a British multinational publishing & educational company, the criteria used are education in primary, secondary and high school, along with higher education & international schools.
  1. South Korea
  2. Japan
  3. Singapore
  4. Hong Kong
  5. Finland
  6. The United Kingdom
  7. Canada
  8. The Netherlands
  9. Ireland
  10. Poland
  11. Denmark
  12. Germany
  13. Russia
  14. The United States
  15. Australia
  16. New Zealand
  17. Israel
  18. Belgium
  19. Czech Republic
  20. Switzerland
  21. Norway
  22. Hungary
  23. France
  24. Sweden
  25. Italy
  26. Austria
  27. Slovenia
  28. Portugal
  29. Spain
  30. Bulgaria
  31. Romania
  32. Chile
  33. Greece
  34. Turkey
  35. Thailand
  36. Columbia
  37. Argentina
  38. Brazil
  39. Mexico
  40. Indonesia

For a Masters degree, UK is 1st with the USA 2nd (can't find the full list).

Top 40 education systems in the world

I'm a little surprised the UK made it to 6th on the list. I know the top Universities in England (and Scotland) have outstanding worldwide reputations, I just imagined the gap between the very best & average institutions were enormous in the UK, simply based on economic disparities between regions & the historical reverence of Oxbridge.

Then again I couldn't find the methodology involved; they could've taken a small representitive sample for every school period or just picked the top 5 from each country.
There are actually a wide range of very good universities in the UK, some of which I would recommend above Oxbridge for certain subjects. There is also a big tail though, especially since the polytechnics were turned into universities (a mistake in my view because the polytechnics performed a useful function in their own right). If the UK is placed higher than I would have expected, it is because of the obvious defiiencies of the school system. Russia is placed above the USA! I wonder whether the education systems in Korea, Singapore and Hong Kong really develop pupils as rounded individuals who can think originally. Altogether I am very suspicious of any such list because I'm pretty sure that different qualities and ambitions which cannot be rated in a simple hierarchy.