Effectiveness of Chinese Mountain Armor

Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
So, I've been making these hexagonal scales, but it's slow going because I can't really smash metal with hammers or make a lot of noise at my current apartment, so I must make the scales in small batches or do the noisy parts elsewhere, sometimes at work. Been doing that and reading that UFO book a bit. I'll be back once I have scales completed in greater numbers!

Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
Looking good so far. Are you going to emboss ridges into the plates?
I think the leather thongs form the pattern! I just embossed the center of the scale so that the central hole is elevated and the whole thing is a bit dished. Works great! If I put the ridges on the scales, they would be right below the laces. The lacing alone, coming from the central elevated holes, creates the precise pattern seen! Folks have been mistaking the surface lacing for the scales themselves...

Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
I can post some pics of experiments with some initial poorly made scales when I get home; the lacing pattern holds everything together, and all holes are filled. Looks EXACTLY like the depictions; should make excellent armour. The goat leather has arrived too!

Aug 2014
Australia
Have you worked out a lacing pattern? Do the plates need to be attached to a foundation (like scale armour) or does the lacing hold them together (like lamellar)?

Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
Yes, and the lacing is easy! each vertex attaches to another scale, and they overlap horizontally and imbricate downward! This is it, I am pretty certain. Metal links could also be used one for each scale, or they can be laced with thong. They don't even need a backing if the links are used, and I've been debating whetner or notto use them instead of the thong... I really do think think this is the solution! I should have a section done very soon.

Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
Here are a couple of bad scales; the middle hole in these first scales I made is too big; I've fixed that on the new ones.. They can be laced together in diagonal rows, or a number of other ways, making the assemblage more flexible. They can also be linked together with a single piece of flat wire (bezel strip or links), one piece of wire for each scale. Only the pattern is visible on the front in both cases. This is it.

IMG_0166.jpg
IMG_0074_kindlephoto-142001124.jpg
237327_1501204257.jpg

Similar History Discussions