effects of the Spanish Armada wins

Nov 2017
Geneva, Switzerland
Victory of the Spanish Armada

The Spanish Navy was defeated by British and Allied forces led by Elizabeth the First.
So I ask,
A victory of the navy would lead to an effective occupation of England?
What would be the British Empire situation? since it was just beginning.
Could England be incorporated into a union with Spain? How did Spain do with Portugal
The situation of Anglicanism and reform in this Spanish England.
So taking the so-called UNIVERSAL MONARCHY, with a similar scenario to that of Charlemagne?
What are the long-term and short-term effects?
The effects on the Western domination of the world.
And the main questioning: the industrial revolution, the Enlightenment, capitalism and the American and French revolutions and etc.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
I can't give answers to these hypotheticals but Philip de facto held several titles: "Philip II of Spain (Spanish: Felipe II; 21 May 1527 – 13 September 1598) was King of Spain (1556–98), King of Portugal (1581–98, as Philip I, Filipe I), King of Naples and Sicily (both from 1554), and jure uxoris King of England and Ireland (during his marriage to Queen Mary I from 1554 to 1558)" (google)

I don't know how much power he had or could have had as Jure Uxoris King of England but given the power of Spain and the Papacy behind him he might have been able to make more of it well before 1588.

Last edited:
May 2017
France
The king of Spain was the servant of Roma,and tried to ocupy France during the wars of Religion (1560-1598).Elizabeth I has saved Europe from the catholic dictatorship of this man who had the pretention to destroy the Reform.In the boats lost by the spanish navy,we have discovered excepcional news tools and machines of torture destinated to push the protestants to make their come back in the influence of Roma…...strange arguments.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
The king of Spain was the servant of Roma,and tried to ocupy France during the wars of Religion (1560-1598).Elizabeth I has saved Europe from the catholic dictatorship of this man who had the pretention to destroy the Reform.In the boats lost by the spanish navy,we have discovered excepcional news tools and machines of torture destinated to push the protestants to make their come back in the influence of Roma…...strange arguments.
"New" tools of torture? Interesting. Can you point a source to those "new" tools discovered?

May 2017
France
The historian Jules Michelet has proved that the Inquisicion participated to this expedition,who had for purpose to eliminate the "heretics",all people who had new ideas.In 1992,the itinerant museum of the "Torture and Inquisicion" had opened in the medieval city of Carcassonne an extraordinary exposicion about all the tecnics of torture and their evolution in the centuries, in this historical site of the "Albigeois",exterminated in the XIIIth century.Poems justifying torture were exposed at the entrance and as i was translating it, i have been photografied by my parisian pupils,in hollidays,very surprised to find me, and proud, two months later, to show to all my students that i passed special hollidays……..

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
The historian Jules Michelet has proved that the Inquisicion participated to this expedition,who had for purpose to eliminate the "heretics",all people who had new ideas.In 1992,the itinerant museum of the "Torture and Inquisicion" had opened in the medieval city of Carcassonne an extraordinary exposicion about all the tecnics of torture and their evolution in the centuries, in this historical site of the "Albigeois",exterminated in the XIIIth century.Poems justifying torture were exposed at the entrance and as i was translating it, i have been photografied by my parisian pupils,in hollidays,very surprised to find me, and proud, two months later, to show to all my students that i passed special hollidays……..
My question was about the discovery of “new” (your word) instruments of torture in the ships. You didn’t answer to it.

About what you wrote, Jules Michelet is a reference of the French Positivism*, from the 19th century, if I am not mistaken. So I am now a bit confused with the word “new”. You mean that the instruments were new to the existing knowledge in the 19th century?

Furthermore, albeit out of theme, you seem to be mixing the Medieval Inquisition with the Spanish one. Similar yet different institutions. But again, my question was about the discoveries in the ships: "excepcional news tools".

EDIT:

Or a romanticist? Can't recall. It has been ages that I heard about him.

May 2017
France
The torture,like everything,has evoluted from Middle Age to now.
At the origins,the ordalies,in the german culture,were used for compensing their insuficient law.The justice used the water,the fire,the horses,which were primitive tecnics.France adopted it…..
But with the Reform of XVIth century,the roman church decided to adopt another politic.The first protestants were burnt like in the old traditions,but in fact,everybody knew that it was not the best way to exterminate the progression of the new ideas,which profited of the tecnics of Gutemberg,to extend their ideas.The victims were considered like heroes (Crespin,"the martyrologue").
The "questions ordinaries,and extraordinaries" were the new support of the repression.The metallurgists became the new auxiliaries of the judges.The executioners were professionals of high level of tecnicity,reputated in all the kingdoms.THey received the mission to obligate the "heretic" to deny himself,and to recognize in the deshonor his culpability.But who can resist to a man of 120kgs who uses terrible tools ? Nobody.The catholic Church of France tried to use the executionners for the Saint Bartholomew (24 agust 1572) but they decided to make the strike,saying,"we need an authentic condamnation" not an order of assassinate. In the "invincible armada" there was a team of priests charged to make judiciaries pursuits against the heretics,but in their retreat they have forgotten their pincers for hands and foot,and their torture s boots.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
The torture,like everything,has evoluted from Middle Age to now.

At the origins,the ordalies,in the german culture,were used for compensing their insuficient law.The justice used the water,the fire,the horses,which were primitive tecnics.France adopted it…..

But with the Reform of XVIth century,the roman church decided to adopt another politic.The first protestants were burnt like in the old traditions,but in fact,everybody knew that it was not the best way to exterminate the progression of the new ideas,which profited of the tecnics of Gutemberg,to extend their ideas.The victims were considered like heroes (Crespin,"the martyrologue").

The "questions ordinaries,and extraordinaries" were the new support of the repression.The metallurgists became the new auxiliaries of the judges.The executioners were professionals of high level of tecnicity,reputated in all the kingdoms.THey received the mission to obligate the "heretic" to deny himself,and to recognize in the deshonor his culpability.But who can resist to a man of 120kgs who uses terrible tools ? Nobody.The catholic Church of France tried to use the executionners for the Saint Bartholomew (24 agust 1572) but they decided to make the strike,saying,"we need an authentic condamnation" not an order of assassinate. In the "invincible armada" there was a team of priests charged to make judiciaries pursuits against the heretics,but in their retreat they have forgotten their pincers for hands and foot,and their torture s boots.
Somewhat out of topic that post, but, again, what were the "excepcional news tools” discovered in the 1588 Armada ships?

Can you answer to that? If you can’t, I am beginning to doubt your assertion in the post #3. An assertion that I found odd but interesting.

Similar History Discussions