Egypt, Sudan, Ethiopia and the scramble for Africa

Apr 2015
Sweden
I would like to read something about the relations between Egypt, mahdist Sudan and Ethiopia that is focused at these polities and their rulers as actors. Most of the history I have read regarding Africa in the late 19th century is very focused on western countries and their colonization. Any good books, articles or documentaries on the subject(s)?

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Probably not you are looking for, but for the mentioned regions the following book is from an European/Colonial perspective, but Ismailia by Sir Samuel Baker is a good primary source, freely available online and in English at the Gutenberg project, and one of the first that came to my mind for the mentioned regions: Ismailia by Sir Samuel White Baker

As your probably know Samuel Baker (Samuel Baker - Wikipedia) was a British explorer:

“In 1869, at the request of the khedive Ismail, Baker led a military expedition to the equatorial regions of the Nile, with the object of suppressing the slave-trade there and opening the way to commerce and civilisation. Before starting from Cairo with a force of 1700 Egyptian troops – many of them discharged convicts – he was given the rank of pasha and major-general in the Ottoman army. Lady Baker, as before, accompanied him. The khedive appointed him Governor-General of the new territory of Equatoria. for four years at a salary of £10,000 a year; and it was not until the expiration of that time that Baker returned to Cairo, leaving his work to be carried on by the new governor, Colonel Charles George Gordon.

He had to contend with innumerable difficulties – the blocking of the river in the Sudd, the hostility of officials interested in the slave-trade, the armed opposition of the natives – but he succeeded in planting in the new territory the foundations upon which others could build up an administration.” (from the mentioned Wikipedia article). – The mentioned book is about this expedition. Note that in this expedition Baker was working for the Egyptians (well… Ottomans), and not (directly) for the British.

In a much more generic perspective, I also have a history of Ethiopia by Richard Pankhurst:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0631184686/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_taft_p1_i0

Although Richard Pankhurst is a British with an Italian father, he lived many years in Ethiopia (his mother also lived there), and was an expert about Ethiopia’s history. He died recently there. Don’t confuse him with his grandfather, of the same name.

Last edited:
May 2018
On earth.
try picking up "Modern Abyssinia" and "Modern Egypt". They should be free on google books. They're contemporary sources documenting alot of things you may be interested, though I'd take alot of what they say regarding Ethiopian, Sudanese, and Egyptian ancient, medieval, and early modern history with a large grain of salt.