Englands Bloodiest Battle

SPERRO

Ad Honorem
Mar 2011
North East England
In 1461, an event took place in Yorkshire which is probably Englands bloodiest single conflict. In the environs of Towton, two dynastic armies fought a desperate and history changing battle. This battle does not seem to have the significance of other historical conflicts either in the same era, or compared to other battles. During the hours of fighting, English history's path was destined to be altered. The casualties sustained were for the time, horrendous However, the battlefield has few historical monuments and markers and seems neglected for its significance.

In the writers opinion, this is a travesty, because the battles importance is on a par with the better known events such as Bosworth. The events at Towton are kept within historical memory by the efforts of a few local enthusiasts who have unearthed artifacts, using metal detectors and their spare time.

To anyone interested in this battle, what is your point of view?.

SPERRO

Ad Honorem
Mar 2011
North East England
How many casualties took place?
In truth, most historians have different estimates based on the few records available. Some estimate as many as 20-30000, but this may be a lower figure.
The main factor which is considered, is the total rout of the Lancastrian army, the majority of whom were forced into a fighting retreat across a frozen river (river Cock), resulting in many drownings through weight of armour and impeded passage for terrrified men at arms. The slaughter was appalling, and recent grave finds have indicated outright murder.

SPERRO

Ad Honorem
Mar 2011
North East England
In such bit battles and in this time period it is always vague
The estimates are based on the details in the Rolls and recruiting returns. The flower of the then English aristocracy were subject to a huge fatality rate in this one single action. Many were interred in mass graves (most of which have not been located), and only a few were given official burial sites.

Crystal Rainbow

Ad Honorem
Feb 2011
Cumbernauld Scotland
I have visited the place with someone who was quite a good knowledge on the Towton Battle, and have met some of the reactors. I will see if I can find a link about them.
Here it is
http://www.towton.org.uk

Last edited:

bartieboy

Ad Honorem
Dec 2010
The Netherlands
The estimates are based on the details in the Rolls and recruiting returns. The flower of the then English aristocracy were subject to a huge fatality rate in this one single action. Many were interred in mass graves (most of which have not been located), and only a few were given official burial sites.

It is still hard to imagine that you have to bury your friends and people who protected you in such a dishonourable thing as a mass grave.

SPERRO

Ad Honorem
Mar 2011
North East England
I have visited the place with someone who was quite a good knowledge on the Towton Battle, and have met some of the reactors. I will see if I can find a link about them.
Here it is
Towton Battlefield Society
Yes Crystal, I have visited the area a couple of times, but it does not have the attraction for visitors like Bosworth. On both visits, I found it to be bleak and windswept. The site does not have any Historical markers or guides, and unless you know the history of the events well, you could end up being confused.

I think the site needs a proper visitor centre like Bosworth.

Crystal Rainbow

Ad Honorem
Feb 2011
Cumbernauld Scotland
The visitor centre for Bosworth has been in the wrong place and only a few years ago they have found the real site.

SPERRO

Ad Honorem
Mar 2011
North East England
It is still hard to imagine that you have to bury your friends and people who protected you in such a dishonourable thing as a mass grave.
Yes, I can see your viewpoint but in 1461, human life was cheap. The common foot soldiers (men at arms) were given no consideration. As for Nobles, they were only given better treatment if they were recognised lying on the field. To my Knowledge, at Towton, there is only one single significant tomb erected for a Noble (Lord Dacre), and this has fallen into disrepair.