EP elections 2019

Do you plan to vote on the EP elections?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Closed

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
If I’ve got my zeros right I think the net U.K. contribution is about 20€ per head of the EU’s population and less than 0.1% of the EU’s GDP. I believe that’s what economists call next to nothing. It’s not brilliant insight on my part but my understanding is that as far as the EU is concerned the negotiations are more about politics than money.
It may be 0.1% if the EU 's GDP but it's 10% or thereabouts of the EU's budget. That's significant, especially since, if they don't get it, some other country will have to make it up, probably Germany.

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
If I’ve got my zeros right I think the net U.K. contribution is about 20€ per head of the EU’s population and less than 0.1% of the EU’s GDP. I believe that’s what economists call next to nothing. It’s not brilliant insight on my part but my understanding is that as far as the EU is concerned the negotiations are more about politics than money.
Your figure is accurate (with some take & give, depending on how one's calculating). I will loose some 4£/year when UK leaves.

But AFAIK it isn't about 2 or 200 or 20.000 £, but about the principle: British do not want "shared"/"delegated" sovereignty, but full sovereignty.

What I have difficulties in understanding is:

I want the UK to leave but don’t think it will due to the need for the EU to retain the income from the UK
The EU endorsed the Brexit deal, the UK parliament did not, but UK will not leave EU because .... EU doesn't wanna let UK leave ... ?

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
Yes indeed. But how many other 15 year olds CAN objec ...
Millions and millions. I'm one of them (I was once 15, too).

... because the British and Americans freed Europe? ...
Not because "the British and Americans" but because British, Americans, French, Polish, Belgians, Dutch, Danes, Tunisians, Algerians, Greeks, Romanians and others fought and died.

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
Because our Parliament is dominated by Remainers acting against the will of the people.
Most probably.

But those are British parliamentary, elected by British citizens, not appointed by Junker & co. ltd.

Meaning, if UK will not leave, British people should look where it has to look: not on the EURSS, but on it's own, sovereign parliament.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Not because "the British and Americans" but because British, Americans, French, Polish, Belgians, Dutch, Danes, Tunisians, Algerians, Greeks, Romanians and others fought and died.
Who provided the bulk of the forces on D-Day? The Americans and British. Where were the French, Polish, Belgian, Dutch etc. armed forces in 1941? Beaten by the Nazis.

The resistance fighters were brave, but they didn't defeat the Nazis. They made it harder for them.

The French participated in the liberation of France - in American uniforms and with American weapons.

So a little gratitude wouldn't go amiss.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Most probably.

But those are British parliamentary, elected by British citizens, not appointed by Junker & co. ltd.

Meaning, if UK will not leave, British people should look where it has to look: not on the EURSS, but on it's own, sovereign parliament.
And they all promised us they were in favour of Brexit. Well, their real position has become clear, and that is why the Brexit party is doing well.

Oh, Britain will leave. The next PM will see to that.

At least one candidate has said he will suspend Parliament if necessary too stop them preventing a no-deal Brexit. Hopefully, more of them will consider that option.

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
Who provided the bulk of the forces on D-Day? The Americans and British. Where were the French, Polish, Belgian, Dutch etc. armed forces in 1941? Beaten by the Nazis.

The resistance fighters were brave, but they didn't defeat the Nazis. They made it harder for them.

The French participated in the liberation of France - in American uniforms and with American weapons.

So a little gratitude wouldn't go amiss.

My friend, it isn't about gratitude.

I would never lack to pay my respects in front of the tomb of Ivan Ivanovitch Ivanov, dead, fighting the Nazi Germany simply because Stalin was his ruler.

That I disagree with You will never make me forget the Bobbies dead all over instead of staying at home and waiting for the Continentals finishing butchering one another.

It's about omission. I don't like omissions. I don't like the effect omissions have on history.

So forgive me if I don't forget, the Tunisian that fought the day and marched the night, weeks and hundred of miles, crossing Europe from north to south for joining the Free French army and dying liberating Strasbourg, the Polish fighting back in Warsaw, day after day, for 60 days, even when he realized he will die along with his, city before any help will come.

I can't thank them. All I can do is to remember them.

PS: 30.000th "Last Post"

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
And they all promised us they were in favour of Brexit. Well, their real position has become clear, and that is why the Brexit party is doing well.

Oh, Britain will leave. The next PM will see to that.

At least one candidate has said he will suspend Parliament if necessary too stop them preventing a no-deal Brexit. Hopefully, more of them will consider that option.
And if he doesn't do it, You should take the streets, until it's done.

If Romanians managed to make their Presidents, PM's, MEP's judged, sentenced and put into jail for corruption, in what is considered one of the most corrupt European countries, if teenagers concerned of climate managed to force all the parties to include climate and ecology into their programs, there's no reason for You Brits not being able to have Your Brexit.

Status
Closed

Similar History Discussions