EP elections 2019

Do you plan to vote on the EP elections?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Closed

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
No worries, it was a huge post. Glad that someone read it even with all those typos :D
Just blame autocorrect. Or the Spanish.
I think that the democratic problem that you are pointing is a huge one. And if further integration is made the definition of how the democracy in the EU will be is quite relevant and should be further discussed and not only in bureaucratic or technocratic circles in Brussels or Strasbourg. Because as new powers are delegated by the member states to the organization the previous structures reveal inadequate and not as democratic as they should be.
Well it isn't a EU problem in itself, you see this with other things as well. Here we all of a sudden have a climate agreement, decided upon by some "experts". None of it was in the elections, information is only on the outcomes (so the why and how is shielded) and to top it off there is also tactical information spreading, meaning that things that cost money are only made public after an election (ie the recent EU election).
However the problem with this with in regards to the EU is that it is signing over powers, which will never return. With the climate agreement at least I could vote out the idiots in the next election and then a future government could just shred it, not so with EU stuff.
In other words, reforms are necessary and urgent. Even if I don't think that they will happen soon. Not with this Brexit thing ongoing.
The reforms that are necessary will never occur as it would be against EU ideals. What would be necessary imo is to stop the Union part and make it a matrix of agreements focused mainly on economy (and environment). So any country could decide to sign in or out on a certain agreement. Ie the North Sea fishing agreement would be of little interest to Austria, but regulations on car imports might be.
Then we have the problem that some of these needed reforms will be positive for the EU (meaning here for the majority of the states and of population of the EU), but not necessarily positive for all the countries in the short term.
I doubt any of the ideas that you have would be positive for the member states in the long run either. We are just not a union.

Oct 2013
Europix
The whole EU problem is that, other then some nice jobs in some EU organization, there isn't really anything in common. I move 100 kms south and people talk French, I move 100kms east and I cant drive a truck in the weekend, 100 kms west and I am forced to watch cricket. So there isn't really much we have in common, unlike say a United States or closer to home 1870 Germany. The US formed against a common enemy and then expanded, making everyone Americans, but even there they couldn't settle differences without a big war. Germany in the end only unified because of war (and even then needed a big army to remain a country)....

It's a question of perspective. What You put in front and what You put behind, buur.

If I have to choose for the next 10 years on an Island with only one person, I'll choose You instead of any of my neighbors. You're on my short list of "in front" in spite of the language, and disagreements, and beer, and a the rest.

Oct 2013
Europix
Average elevation:

Netherlands: 30m above sea level.
Belgium: 181m above sea level.

We should all strive to be more like Bhutan and Nepal.
Nah, not necessarily Nepal: it's only the Flemish part that's low.

I'm cool, and I have enough place in tje garden for one climate Flemish refugee caravan, or two climate Dutch refugee caravans.

Last edited:

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
It's a question of perspective. What You put in front and what You put behind, buur.

If I have to choose for the next 10 years on an Island with only one person, I'll choose You instead of any of my neighbors. You're on my short list of "in front" in spite of the language, and disagreements, and beer, and a the rest.
That is because your neighbors are most likely Turkish, Maroccan or Polish;)

Oct 2013
Europix
That is because your neighbors are most likely Turkish, Maroccan or Polish;)
You have the tendency to underestimate me:

I need on an island someone who can handle dykes.

Not to talk of the bonus of You having to still have me around inspite trying for so long those puns for getting read of me!

Status
Closed

Similar History Discussions