Ethics of Banning Marijuana

Nov 2010
Border of GA and AL
Yesterday, I was watching a documentary on the History Channel about the history of Marijuana in the United States. Now before you all jump me for watching HC I want to talk about the ethics of banning Marijuana.

Many people, politicians and doctors, actors and businessmen alike, say that Marijuana is a relatively harmless drug. Many say that if it were totally legal then drug addiction rates and drug abuse rate in the US would go down. Many say that trying and using marijuana, if it were legal, wouldn't lead to users trying harder and harder drugs like cocaine, LSD, or ecstasy. They say that legalizing marijuana will lead to a decrease in drug and gang violence. In fact, the documentary said that marijuana is the number one illegally transported drug in the world by a very large margin.

On the other side opponents to legalization say the exact opposite things. They say that legalizing marijuana will lead to a generation that is always stoned and unable to work. They say that legalizing marijuana will, inevitably, lead to the legalization of harder drugs like crack or meth. In contrast to supporters, opponents say that legalization will lead to increased drug violence.

What I want to talk about is the ethics of banning marijuana. During the documentary someone said that it is unethical to ban a plant from being transported or consumed. What do you all think?

It also should be noted that another person, an actor I think, gave a historical example in that organized crime shot up in the US when alcohol was banned during the Prohibition Era. He stated that the prohibition of marijuana is pretty much the only reason why so much violence occurs around the drug.

Last edited:

tjadams

Ad Honoris
Mar 2009
Texas
My strong opinion on this drug hasn't budged an centimetre. I think you all know it by now.

Jun 2011
Everything is better with a bag of weed!

This is a topic that I could rant endlessly about. I've done that in other threads though and don't see the purpose of merely repeating myself.

I think this thread should look at the HISTORY of marijuana instead of our opinions regarding the legalization. Meaning, we should look at why it was made illegal. What has kept it illegal? How does racism play a part?

There's generations of people who grew up on misinformation about marijuana. The truth is, not a lot of scientific information has come out of the United States because of the difficulties in researching it.

Nov 2010
Border of GA and AL
Everything is better with a bag of weed!

This is a topic that I could rant endlessly about. I've done that in other threads though and don't see the purpose of merely repeating myself.

I think this thread should look at the HISTORY of marijuana instead of our opinions regarding the legalization. Meaning, we should look at why it was made illegal. What has kept it illegal? How does racism play a part?

There's generations of people who grew up on misinformation about marijuana. The truth is, not a lot of scientific information has come out of the United States because of the difficulties in researching it.
I'm not talking about legalization, though. I'm asking whether or not it is ethical to ban a plant from being transported, grown, and used.

Rongo

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Ohio
What I want to talk about is the ethics of banning marijuana. During the documentary someone said that it is unethical to ban a plant from being transported or consumed. What do you all think?
I certainly think it would be ethical to ban a plant that is dangerous to society. I don't happen to think marijuana is such a plant, though.

Pedro

Forum Staff
Mar 2008
On a mountain top in Costa Rica. yeah...I win!!
It also should be noted that another person, an actor I think, gave a historical example in that organized crime shot up in the US when alcohol was banned during the Prohibition Era. He stated that the prohibition of marijuana is pretty much the only reason why so much violence occurs around the drug.
OK, if legalizing the stuff would be a blow* to organized crime, how do we get organized criminals to smoke the stuff?

*OMG how did I miss that pun.

BTW Organized crime mostly shot up Chicagoans and New Yorkers, there wasn't much shooting going on out west.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Well, when I was in Nepal I saw my sherpa and my porter chewing marijuana [it's a common plant you can find walking at low and mean altitudes there]. In this it's the same about cocaine in Colombia ...

The point is that the chemical exploitation of the vegetable generates a concentration of the active principal [like in a medicine it happens with some other vegetables].

This said, I find nothing against this or that ethic in using a natural product to change the state of mind, to improve physical performances ... [modern societies know a lot of medicines and other products doing the same].

But ...

like any other product it's always about abuse. Drugs can generate addiction. In this I wonder why drugs should be a legal problem while alcohol is only a social problem [to drink alcohol is not illegal itself, like to sell alcohol ... and so on ...].

unclefred

Ad Honorem
Dec 2010
Oregon coastal mountains
Nice to see you back Qymaen. I don't see illegality as unethical. There is some interesting theories about the history of Pots criminalization, such as political pressure applied by wealthy industrialists like Hearst and Dupont who found hemp to be a competitor to their paper and garment materials businesses.

I feel it was mainly the climate of the times. Medicines and patent drugs were being regulated and rid of cocaine, opium etc. Good old Laudanum was even done away with.

bartieboy

Ad Honorem
Dec 2010
The Netherlands
On the other side opponents to legalization say the exact opposite things. They say that legalizing marijuana will lead to a generation that is always stoned and unable to work. They say that legalizing marijuana will, inevitably, lead to the legalization of harder drugs like crack or meth. In contrast to supporters, opponents say that legalization will lead to increased drug violence.
of course, just look at what's going on in Holland, chaos in the streets, gang violence, you can't even walk the streets without a fire arm.