Eurocentric revisionism?

JpO

Jan 2019
Norway
I was talking to a friend about the modern phenomenon of Afrocentrism, and how a lot of people of African descent feel the need to steal the history of other people in order to feel-good about their racial identity. Which is why you see things like the Black Egyptian propaganda, the Hebrew Israelite, the Black Olmecs, the Black Xia dynasty, and other very vicious and demonic lies...

I was telling him that no other people on this planet ever did this, and that it's a very unique phenomenon. He told me "well, in the past, Eurocentric revisionism similar to modern Afrocentrism was also a thing, and if anything, Afrocentrism is just a reaction to this Euro-centrism". I asked him to give me concrete examples of "Eurocentric revisionism similar to modern Afrocentrism", because I don't see it.

The examples he gave were not satisfying because most of the time it was in the context of the 19th century, when it was justified, by the simple fact that people arrived to those conclusions because of a lack of modern data(like DNA), and not because they were vicious, racist and narcissistic with inferiority complex. Other examples he gave were not satisfying because they were supported by very niche groups, and not on a massive scale similar to that of Afrocentrism today.

Is anyone here able to show a few concrete examples of "Eurocentric revisionism" in history?

Reactions: Steel of Fury

janusdviveidis

Ad Honorem
Mar 2014
Lithuania
There is movement in Belarus, that believes, that Lithuania Grand Duchy was really Belorussian Grand Duchy. They have numerous revisions of history to make whole idea fit. It is easy to do since Belarus was very important part of Lithuanian Grand Duchy, but still not historical. It is part of attempt to create history for Belorussian nation. They have their own history, but it mostly consists of them belonging to other countries or as multiple City States. Some nationalists think that this is not enough and look for grand past. I am sure that this is not the only example in Europe.

Mar 2016
Australia
There is movement in Belarus, that believes, that Lithuania Grand Duchy was really Belorussian Grand Duchy. They have numerous revisions of history to make whole idea fit. It is easy to do since Belarus was very important part of Lithuanian Grand Duchy, but still not historical. It is part of attempt to create history for Belorussian nation. They have their own history, but it mostly consists of them belonging to other countries or as multiple City States. Some nationalists think that this is not enough and look for grand past. I am sure that this is not the only example in Europe.
But that's a European country doing that to another European country. It isn't what the OP was talking about in terms of an entire race or continent of people doing that to another race or continent.

Reactions: JpO
Mar 2018
UK
Eurocentrism is mostly about ignoring the history of other parts of the world, or downplaying them.

The only thing I can think of is Jesus being repeatedly portrayed as a white Caucasian in lots of European and American art. In all probability he should be more "tanned" or Semitic looking. Does that qualify?

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
Not really, that is not a historical statement, it is a matter of people representing Christ as being like themselves because that makes it easier for them to identify with him, Africans and Asians often do the same; there is the further point that the iconographic traditions in that regard in European art were established before anyone attached any importance at all to historical verisimilitude (the people who were insulting Christ or putting him to death were portrayed likewise as Europeans, usually wearing modern dress or something similar to it).

janusdviveidis

Ad Honorem
Mar 2014
Lithuania
But that's a European country doing that to another European country. It isn't what the OP was talking about in terms of an entire race or continent of people doing that to another race or continent.
Egypt is also in Africa, but black Egyptians is classical example of Afrocentrism.

Mar 2019
KL
european view on world history and narrative dominates the world, and its view is imposed on the rest of the nation's histories

european scholars are eurocentric and biased in favour of europe, revisionism in european scholarship in favour of europe has still been carried out to this day for instance buddha's dates has been twice revised and backed from more earlier period in my opinion to suit the period closer to greek or atleast persian contact with india.

aryan theories have been concocted, i think africa and india are two of the most messed up areas where europeans have tried to distort a lot of history

afrocentrism is a retaliation of that distortion but its illogical and irrational, it cannot solve the damage made by eurocentric scholars, it is very similar to hindu nationalists, who consider themselves a reaction to the world of injustice perpetrated on them since a thousand years first by muslims, but then by british, but hindu naitonalism itself was a phenomenon creted as a result of divide and rule policy of colonial Britain.

i think that eurocentrism must be fought with logic not illogics, what afrocentrism and hindu nationalism denotes is their inability to challenge colonial notions, they have misdirected their aim at poor people like ancient egyptians, olecs, chinese etc as you stated and hindu naitonalists have misdirected their aim at muslims for instance.

1555938594042.png

a simple tweet from a harmless hindu nationalist simply making a historical point, but little do other illiterate or idiot hindu nationalists who RT him know that the guy is mistranslating turushka/turkic which was an ethnic denomination of turkic people used for foreign invaders by indians at that period and replaces it with religious terminology of ''mohammadan'' given by the colonists much later after vijayanagar inscriptions, this one simple trick invented by colonists runs the entire RSS movement of the hindu nationalists today and their political grip on India.

i think mixing race, religion with history has been a very bad concoction of the colonial periods, DNA tests and study will always be distorted just like history to distort facts in european favour and nobody ill challenge it because europeans scholars narrative dominates.

regards

Last edited:
Jun 2012
Ashoka maurya, unfortunately, I would have to disagree with you about the Aryans. The theory about the destruction of the Harappan Civilization by invasion has not been supported for a while now but the Migration theory is certainly the most supported by evidence today.

Speaking of Invasion during certain time periods, I think that this is one area where Eurocentrism is most harmful. In my personal experience, whenever an invasion moved East, Western scholars seem happy to list the direction as is. However, when the Invasion moved West - something that is far more consistent and everlasting in impact during a significant portion of history - Western scholars seem very accepting of euphemisms and very reluctant to list the correct direction.

On the surface, this is a tiny mistake caused by a bias that is rather hard to avoid. What is egregious about such a mistake, however, is that it causes flagrant double-standards to become the norm. This is why the illusion that the West was always ruled by indigenous Westerners who were conquerors of the world and never replaced by Easterners is so prevalent.
Honest historians should know already how misinforming the illusion is, especially when it comes to written history: in a vast portion of written history, the West was actually more consistently conquered and ruled by groups further East. Denying the fact actually means denying the heritage of Westerners today.

Last edited:

At Each Kilometer

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
Bulgaria
Eurocenrtism concept does great injustice to Lithuanians and Belorussians because it literally destroys everything you care for, your language, your culture and history of your ppl everything you know and makes you Lithuanian or Belorussian and turns you into something artificial. This globalisation monster labels you as european (the continent you live on along with so many other ppl), sometimes adding the colour of your skin which is not pink, but white. Same matters for afrocentrism, it basically erases the local cultures and turn them into artificial continental global one. These concepts are alien to us they are from another hemisphere.

Oct 2018
US
Eurocentric revisionism? Look no further than the majority of WW1 histories. See references denigrating the American Expeditionary Force, and the Doughboys' key role in Allied victory? Or statements to the effect that Belleau Wood and the Argonne were "inconsequential?" Pretty straightforward Eurocentric revisionism.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk