Europe facing the danger of Internet censorship

Nov 2016
Germany
Last edited:

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
The European Internet is about to be subjected to anti-democratic censorship by the Politburo in Brussels. How do you see it? Are online forums also affected? Politicians say no, critics of Article 13 say yes. But can one believe the politicians?

Article 13 is back on – and it got worse, not better

Wikipedia will shut down for 24 hours in Protest | Leader Bulletin

Directive on Copyright in the Digital Single Market - Wikipedia
It is pretty nasty. I always use Ockam's razor (never assume malice when it can be explained by incompetence), but in this case I think you have a good case for malice.

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Internet is not democratic ... did you vote for the administrators of Facebook? Did you vote for the guys who have written the rules of Instagram?

I can go on. FB, Google, Instagram, Twitter and the others ... the are corporations, they are not democratic and they will censor you if you will post contents damaging their business.

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
We give too great importance to the net. The net is a product. We can decide not to be online and not to use the net.

End of history.

Jan 2019
USA
Internet is not democratic ... did you vote for the administrators of Facebook? Did you vote for the guys who have written the rules of Instagram?

I can go on. FB, Google, Instagram, Twitter and the others ... the are corporations, they are not democratic and they will censor you if you will post contents damaging their business.
Ok. What if a person wants to make their own website/blog expressing their viewpoints, but it violates some government regulation? Is that censorship?

The issue is at the ISP level.

But another question is whether, say, Twitter should continue to have the freedom to ban as freely as they currently do as a cooperation. Twitter is now ubiquitous, and governments around the world make regular use of Twitter to comment on issues (Trump uses it to announce policy). To deny people access to Twitter is becoming more consequential than it once was, and this trend may continue. This should, ideally, open up the possibility of regulations.

Last edited:
Nov 2018
Denmark
We give too great importance to the net. The net is a product. We can decide not to be online and not to use the net.

End of history.
You certainly do not live in Denmark. Here, all communication with the state, the municipality and the health service takes place over the Internet.

Even divorce happens on the state's website.

If you can document that you are mentally handicapped, then you can get letters from the above. Nevertheless, you still have to communicate with them yourself over the Internet.

It is the same with banks, unions and insurance companies. Well, everything and everybody.

The reality is that if one's internet connection is down, one is completely cut off from society.

In addition, I have to admit that it is very rare that I buy something in a real store.

So no, in my world it is not an opportunity to cut off my connection to the internet.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Corporations are not democratic but through competition the free market provides a degree of "democracy" to the extent there are alternatives on the web.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
the internet has been in the hands of its providers from the start when it was a military research project
the content is deemed to be the property of the providers
all hardware and software provided have to abide by the US intelligence community wishes

the recent hoobla about Huavei being a "security risk" is pretty much complete bull

should the Huavei system be installed the NSA would be incapable of Spying on "EVERYBODY"
PRISM (surveillance program) - Wikipedia

sure the Chinese might take a peak but that would be way less intrusive than what the US spooks are doing
also the cozy arrangement by which Israel has immediate unfiltered access to the raw data would be voided

Similar History Discussions