Europe facing the danger of Internet censorship

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
It’s not a given that YT has to be able to cope with 400k hours per day. I’m just arguing that what the internet giants can or cannot do shouldn’t be the deciding factor in this discussion.
It has to be, to some extent, because whatever is legislated has to be achievable.

Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
@deaf, I don't use social media like facebook and twitter at all, and for anything at all serious one needs to read books (most that are out of copyright now being downloadable from the internet, I couldn't otherwise do the kind of work that I do without living in a city with a first-rate university library); but youtube is an amazing resource, there are all kinds of documentaries and lectures that can be found there, quite apart from things on current affairs, and long, long discussions about often quite recondite matters. (I don't use terms like the EUSSR, in the present matter I think the trouble will arise from unintended consequences.)

Oct 2013
Europix
@deaf, I don't use social media like facebook and twitter at all, and for anything at all serious one needs to read books (most that are out of copyright now being downloadable from the internet, I couldn't otherwise do the kind of work that I do without living in a city with a first-rate university library); but youtube is an amazing resource, there are all kinds of documentaries and lectures that can be found there, quite apart from things on current affairs, and long, long discussions about often quite recondite matters. (I don't use terms like the EUSSR, in the present matter I think the trouble will arise from unintended consequences.)
Lins, it wasn't in anyway an accusation or anything like that directed to You.

I was showing one of the possible (maybe not probable) consequences and I explained why (IMHO) the consequences might not be so dire as sometimes depicted.

______
PS: As for the usefulness of YouTube: YouTube is a private company, not a public library. So they can very well close tomorrow, cause the shareholders wills it. No explanation needed.

We all got so used to it (and the rest) that we have the tendency to forget that.

We actually have no warranty, no control.

Oct 2013
Europix
Oct 2013
Europix
Pardon me, the link tax is in Artcle 11, which has also been passed.

IDK, maybe I'm wrong, Naomasa, but however I turn the art. 11 (be it in the original Commission's proposal, be it in the Parliament's amendments) there is nothing about any taxes there nor anything that might suggest some tax.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
IDK, maybe I'm wrong, Naomasa, but however I turn the art. 11 (be it in the original Commission's proposal, be it in the Parliament's amendments) there is nothing about any taxes there nor anything that might suggest some tax.
It's not a tax per se, it's just been called that by the media.