Europe is not a continent

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
The Geographical definition encompass the drainage of the great river basin too , on the whole it make sense
until recently History was continent based as the ground on which great conflicts took place

Nov 2017
Győr
You haven't proven anything other than a zealous opposition to anything "Oriental" and anything that runs counter to your dim view on "The West", and you accuse me of being motivated by feelings.

There's abundance of evidence, examples, and just general academic consensus that Byzantium and the cultures it influenced are as European as it's geographically western counterparts. Your schema on the other hand is literally out of the Middle Ages.
No, Byzantine cultural influence was always limited in the Western Christian World. That's why renaissance arts were not really influenced by Byzantine Empire. The Western Roman architecture influenced it, which was very different from the Asian influenced post-classical era Byzantine arts.

I don't disagree, but that same elementary knowledge comes with the caveat that much of the knowledge that propelled the Renaissance came from Byzantium in one capacity or another, because Western Europe already had a demand for Byzantine fashions for centuries. Aachen Palace was designed by Byzantines. Carolingian court attire and functions modeled those of Constantinople. Byzantine nobles and even imperial members of the family like Anne Komnene regularly intermarried in with western dynasties and brought their education and custom with them, such as using utensils at the dinner table, or regularly bathing.
Wrong. Byzantine material culture (production tools, buildings and housing of the population , the clothes foods, artistic taste) remained closer to near-eastern and North African countries than to Western Christian Western European countries. Even the average Byzantine households of common people were resembled to Near Eastern and North African cities. Even their cloting was very similar to Near Eastern and North African clothing, the only difference was the lack or Turban in Byzantine Empire.

Reality is that "East and West" aren't as opposed or as defined as you think they are. Aside from religion the line between them wasn't that sharp and that one division often evaporated in the face of actual threats like the Saracens, Huns, and Mongols.
The differences were sharp in development of institutions and politics, in societal development, artistic development (architecture, sculpture painting visual arts) clothes and fashion, in science and technology, in economic development. Orthodox world was a different civilization.

Saying that Slavs share a common history and that they're part of the European family isn't a pan-Nationalist agenda. That's just fact. Slavs are close relatives to Germans, Baltics, and Nordics, and they have more history with other European powers than Asian ones.
Just try to say for Czech or Pole, that they are have similar culture as Russians or Ukrainians, they will interpret it as a brutal provocation (And they have right in this case)

"Slavs are close relatives to Germans, Baltics, and Nordics"
Again you lumped together all slavic speaking countries. Czech Poles had close cultural relationship with Germans, but ukrainians and Russian people hadn't. Some commercial relationship did not bring automatically distincts culture closer. Otherwise if we follow your false logic, the the big colonial Empires Like France UK and smaller countries like benelux states would have been African or Asian culture.

I too am an atheist with a Protestant background, but I know enough about Orthodoxy that it's not somehow "Eastern".
No, I don't believe it. You are some Russian descendent Orthodox beliver who was born in the USA. Otherwise , why would you propagate the history fantasy of an average Russian skinhead?

Culturally, theologically, and historically it's more in common with Catholicism than most Protestant sects, especially since there's been a gradual warming reconciliatory relationship between the Vatican and the Ecumenical Patriarchy since near the end of the Cold War. The division between the two churches have been almost always politcally motivated.
Protestantism is closer to Catholicism (even in theological aspects) than Orthodoxy. No wonder, since Protestantism developed from Catholicism. Read this article: Western Christianity - Wikipedia

Again, saying that Slavs have a common heritage isn't nationalist tripe but a statement of fact. Slavs share certain linguistic and cultural elements that predate the religious and nationalistic differences. That make them Slavs; same for any other European ethnolinguistic population.
This similarity exist only in your mind. There is paractically close to zero relationship of pre-christian era culture in Slavic and Germanic speaking countries. Slavic remained nothing more than a linguistic group. The weakened chunks of pre-christian era "common Slavic" culture remained in some degree only until the high middle-ages.

Last edited:
Jun 2016
Lubbock, Tx
After all these years, I am just now learning this. I was watching a lecture by Dr. Joy Degruy and she had everyone define the textbook definition of a continent and then she showed how Europe doesnt fit that definition, yet, the point is those who brutally conquered the world are able to just get everyone to accept something that goes right against what our own eyes see.

We accept Europe as a continent because the dominant whites/Europeans told us to. It's a great example of brainwashing and proof of how history, science, society, psychology etc is written as exaggeration or lies by the conquerors.

So now, when I ask students to name the continents, I have to explain this.
Are you serious?

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
The physical tectonic plates that make up the earth's surface are distinct from the ways geographers have chosen to define land masses. You could argue there are only three continents since North and South America are naturally joined as are Europe, Asia and Africa. Antarctica would be the third. Australia could be considered too small to be a continent.

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
After all these years, I am just now learning this. I was watching a lecture by Dr. Joy Degruy and she had everyone define the textbook definition of a continent and then she showed how Europe doesnt fit that definition, yet, the point is those who brutally conquered the world are able to just get everyone to accept something that goes right against what our own eyes see.
The names of the continent were created when people did not know much about geology, and is traditional.

We accept Europe as a continent because the dominant whites/Europeans told us to. It's a great example of brainwashing and proof of how history, science, society, psychology etc is written as exaggeration or lies by the conquerors.

So now, when I ask students to name the continents, I have to explain this.
You are a teacher? No wonder schools are in such bad shape.

We use the word Europe because it is traditional, long before Europeans went around conquering. It is a very useful term because the continent designated an area of distinctive cultural, floral, and fauna. And given all the flak about demoting Pluto as a planet after just 70 years, demoting Europe as s continent after thousands of years isn't going to fly.

The Europeans weren't the only conquerors long before they established their empires the Asisn Assyrians were establishing brutal empires. The Mongols were as brutal as any European empire at its worst, and Asians like Timerlane were as ruthless as any in history. If you are a teacher, since you mention your students, it is little wonder why so many steps increasingly home schooling their kids. You seem total ignorant of history. The Mongols devasted Hungary, killing a quarter or more of the population, s devasting the cities of Iran that took centuries to recover. Timerlane slaughter 100,000 civilians in Isfahan alone.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
And again , the names are conventional , dating from a time when only people mattered and how to get there
the continents were descriptive notions of travel for Greeks
Asia was East of the Agean , Africa the south coast of the Mediterranean , Europa the land to the West
America did not exist and was later identified by travellers