European foreign relations 1939-1945

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
Does anyone know of any books that deal with the non-military and diplomatic history of Europe in WW2?

funakison

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
Between a rock and a hard place
Vast chunks of europe were occupied by the Nazis for much of that time period

Jan 2014
Portugal
I don't know any good books concerning the general overview.
I would advise specific books dealing with country to country diplomacy...

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Most of the occupied countries had embassies in London. Switzerland Sweden maintained relations with Germany as did Spain and Portugal. Italy established diplomatic relations with the allies in 1943. I don't know about Yugoslavia having an embassy in London but probably kept one in Moscow. Russia maintained relations with the western allies even before being invaded by Germany.

Last edited:

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
Most of the occupied countries had embassies in London. Switzerland Sweden maintained relations with Germany as did Spain and Portugal. Italy established diplomatic relations with the allies in 1943. I don't know about Yugoslavia having an embassy in London but probably kept one in Moscow. Russia maintained relations with the western allies even before being invaded by Germany.
I'm curious about things like the relationship between Spain, Vichy France and Italy and their rivalries in the Med and North Africa. Also the practicalities of diplomacy with countries like Switzerland and Sweden that were effectively cut off from the rest of the world. And there's a whole of thing of how much independence did the occupied countries of Western Europe have and how did they interact with each other.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
I'm curious about things like the relationship between Spain, Vichy France and Italy and their rivalries in the Med and North Africa. Also the practicalities of diplomacy with countries like Switzerland and Sweden that were effectively cut off from the rest of the world. And there's a whole of thing of how much independence did the occupied countries of Western Europe have and how did they interact with each other.
About the relations between Spain and Vichy France you can read this pdf (it is in Spanish and sources are official records from Foreign Office)

The Spanish - French relations between June 1940 to November 1942. Vichy and Madrid.