European take a lot more vacation days than Americans

Status
Closed

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
The cost for public university vary by state. Some states, like CA, offer a public education at a low cost. My state, PA, not so much, about $22,000 for the annual tuition alone.
It costed me 1.000 EUR. Same thing at the time was 70 EUR in Finland (yes, seventy euros the annual tuition). In some European countries it's 0 EUR for students passing the admission tests.

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
It costed me 1.000 EUR. Same thing at the time was 70 EUR in Finland (yes, seventy euros the annual tuition). In some European countries it's 0 EUR for students passing the admission tests.
Tax dollars at work! We have the debate here for public education, Kindergarten through 12th grade. Public education is primarily financed through property taxes. Many senior citizens, who own their homes compared to younger adults, argue they should not foot the bill for public education since they no longer have children in school. I have heard the same argument from those who have no children. This is one area where understand the need for the public good, that is, the need to fund education. Getting the public to pay for free, or nearly free post secondary education would not take in the U.S.

Nov 2018
Denmark
According to an article I just found, the average tax rate for a middle income American is about 14%.
In Denmark depending on your income and how many deductions you have, you probably pay about one third of your income in tax.

Then you have paid for education, medical care, hospital, and motorway, and can get supplements for glasses and dentists.

To mention what I can just think of.

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
Tax dollars at work! We have the debate here for public education, Kindergarten through 12th grade. Public education is primarily financed through property taxes. Many senior citizens, who own their homes compared to younger adults, argue they should not foot the bill for public education since they no longer have children in school. I have heard the same argument from those who have no children. This is one area where understand the need for the public good, that is, the need to fund education. Getting the public to pay for free, or nearly free post secondary education would not take in the U.S.
It's an example of what I was saying that we have opposite aproaches.

It's also a matter of POV: You pay smaller taxes, so You have to spare for schooling, I pay higher taxes, but I don't have to think at tuition fees. In the end, it costs both more or less the same.

Personally, I'm for the public schooling because it gives more chances to the society to use it's human resources.

I mean, everybody knows the genius of Mozart. But almost nobody knows that his father is one of the greatest musical pedagogue in Western European history.

Statistically speaking, in the same period there was at least one other Mozart somewhere in Europe. Only that his father was a butcher, and there was no good public music school in the region, so .... he became a butcher too.

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
In Denmark depending on your income and how many deductions you have, you probably pay about one third of your income in tax.

Then you have paid for education, medical care, hospital, and motorway, and can get supplements for glasses and dentists.

To mention what I can just think of.
A third of your income is a good deal to pay. All the more that it would be imperative for all to contribute, in my opinion.

Dec 2017
Regnum Teutonicum
@ren0312
To post #4: I don't see a big chance for big american companies allowing german-style unions. VW wanted one in its US-plant and tried to get it and failed. So when a german company which wants such a union fails, I don't see a big american company who doesn't want unions getting one, at least short- to mid-term. When one company has such a union and it works, maybe it could spread, but getting the first one is hard. Here is piece with the reasons why it failed:

Labor Relations in the U .S. and Germany

Nov 2018
Denmark
As far as vacation are concerned, I have 185 hours of holiday and an extra holiday of 37 hours, plus because of the collective agreement I have, 32 hours for a day of, because I am a senior worker.

It will be based on an average working week is 37 hours.

Speaking of senior worker, I have informed my boss, that if I am healthy (knock on wood) then I continue to work until I reach the age of 70.

She suddenly looked as though she needed a pension.

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
@ren0312
To post #4: I don't see a big chance for big american companies allowing german-style unions. VW wanted one in its US-plant and tried to get it and failed. So when a german company which wants such a union fails, I don't see a big american company who doesn't want unions getting one, at least short- to mid-term. When one company has such a union and it works, maybe it could spread, but getting the first one is hard. Here is piece with the reasons why it failed:

Labor Relations in the U .S. and Germany
VW tried a plant outside of Pittsburgh back in the the 1970s and 1980s. My cousin worked there after he was furloughed from his job at the steel mill. A variety of factors led to its demise.
Volkswagen Westmoreland Assembly - Wikipedia
VW: Flop in New Stanton, boom in Tennessee | TribLIVE.com

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
In Italy no student needs to ask for money to a bank to graduate in an Italian Uni.

Once could think ... "Italian graduated students are not comparable with American students graduated in US Unis".

Ok ... but someone has to explain me why Italian students graduated in Italian cheap Unis find a job in US. Here we talk about the "exodus of brains". Our best students [graduated in public cheap universities] are absolutely requested by US research business.

Probably US students should come to Italy to graduate: they will save money and they will find a job in US!!!!!

Status
Closed