European Union - Good idea or not?

galteeman

Ad Honorem
Apr 2008
Sodom and Begorrah
in the uk and ireland all you have to do is look at the people who shout loudest against the rise of the EU.
UKIP, Sinn Fein, hardline conservatives etc.
A bunch of pricks drumming up fear and loathing among the ignorant spurred on by sinister manipulative figures behind the scenes.
The Eu represents cooporation, peace, tolerance, prosperity.
May it grow stronger. may its broad consensus based approach not weaken it but make it strong.
May it grow more powerful as a voice of reason in the west to counteract the forces of nationalism in Russia and America.

Sep 2008
Orkney, United Kingdom
I think for the currency to fit the ideals you suggest will be a long time in coming and it may not happen for some time to come but I feel there will be a time when it will happen, but at a time to suit whichever party is government and not the people. With the union there is a strange sense of unity which at present works, perhaps it's the old 'strength in numbers' feeling. I know it worries nations outside of europe that there could a single european army, maybe with just cause, maybe not?

Aug 2008
Iowa
The E.U has proven effective in the past, but it shows some unpleasant signs. First. Ireland, who has far benefited from economically from the E.U, actually had the gall to reject the constitution. Second, leading nations such as England and France have shown their nationalism still come into play.

The E.U is continuing to progress, but it has had some rough spots. It would probably be best if the E.U consolidate its new found unity, and forgo allowing new states in. The last thing needed right now is for Serbia or Turkey to enter in.

Sep 2008
Orkney, United Kingdom
I agree with not letting Turkey in, and I don't think that I'm on my own on that point, as for Serbia, not sure. The door be should shut on new membership but only as a temporary measure until all the new states that are now in, have settled. Either way, I think that the EU will continue to grow over the coming years with or without public support and that will include Turkey someday.

Afrasiyab

Ad Honorem
Sep 2007
I hope Turkey will never start professing the EU fables ~

I hope The EU wont let Turkey be a member of the union ~ Let them take Albania, Macedonia, Croatia or even Armenia in; but Turkey ~

Sincerely...

Last edited:

Toltec

Ad Honorem
Apr 2008
Hyperborea
I think turkey should be allowed to join the EU, but not at the moment. Turkey doesn't have freedom and speech, in fact actively suppresses it. Every country in the EU has freedom of speech and to allow Turkey in would betray this value. Turkey should be allowed in if Turkey can change itself to a more European country, after all it is called the European not Eurasian Union.

Sep 2008
Melbourne, Australia
hmm i wonder if the USA was in Europe, if it would be allowed to enter the EU

it still does implement capital punishment after all

Toltec

Ad Honorem
Apr 2008
Hyperborea
EU Protocol 13 prohibits the death penalty in all circumstances, including in times or war and at times of danger of war.

I believe if a criminal wanted in the US and facing the death penalty was captured in Europe, he couldn't be extradited until the US promised not to execute him.

Sep 2008
Orkney, United Kingdom
Interesting point. But could there be a loophole, suppose the wanted person was wanted in a state that does not have the death penalty, he/she is sent back to the states for trial but is also wanted in another state where the death penalty is used. So they are then sent there, would that break or include a strange situation as this?

Aug 2008
Auckland
Rather in the past tense. Everything you said won't has happened already. Also all those people you say hate one another get on really welll actually, for example Serbs and Croats like one another, especially at Eurovision. I think your letting the intense hatred between Mauris and New Zealanders cloud your view and assuming it's the same in Europe..
Maoris are New Zealanders in the sense of the word
If you mean Whites v Maori, race relations here are all based on the settlement of land claims, whites give more land to the Maoris, the more friendly Maoris are to whites, Whites take land, Maoris get pissed off.

Other races are forbidden to settle land claims, which is pretty stupid imo, it's white v maori <_<

Oh, it's not 'intense' either, you're speaking from 60 years ago.