Europeans were the ones who built modern New Zealand, so why so many Maori place names)

Nov 2014
ph
Now to start with my race is not white, so I do not have a stake in this issue personally, and this post is not racist in any way. But I noticed when I went to New Zealand recently the trend over the past few decades to give places with European names such as Mt. Egmont and Mt. Cook, or even the entire country of New Zealand Maori names. This I find odd and perplexing, since there are already ample places in New Zealand with Maori place names like Oamaru, Wanaka, and Te Anau. Not to mention that the Maori did not even have a unified state or the concept of a unified state over New Zealand before the Europeans came, so giving a Maori name for the whole of New Zealand seems pointless and odd, not to mention that the Maori did not have a written language before the Europeans came, and that the Europeans are the ones that built up these modern towns and cities like Dunedin and Invercargill, and also that the Maori already have a lot of places that are named after them for a population that makes up only 13 percent of the country, and the Maori are about to be overtaken in importance and overall population numbers by recent Asian immigrants anyway, so the Maori can almost be regarded as a fading people.

Mar 2019
KL
the names persist even after take over by a new set of people, for instance London, manchester are all celtic names even after take over of germanic speakers

regards

Reactions: duncanness
Nov 2014
ph
Waitangi Treaty of 1840. The NZ population is still 15% Maori.
Singapore still retained the old British colonial place names even after 1965, and I favor that places that use Maori names continue to use Maori names, while places that have historically used European names continue to use European names, in the same way that Cape Town is still named as Cape Town.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
The US has a long list of Native American place names from states, counties, cities towns and villages to geographic features starting with the Mississippi, Ohio and Missouri Rivers. On the coasts English and Spanish names have been retained: New Hampshire, New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland, North and South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Texas (Tejas) and California. Vermont, the 14th state, took a French name from nearby Quebec. Massachusetts and Connecticut took native names as colonies.

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
Well because Maori culture contributes to New Zeland is beyond just numbers. Whats the value of the Haka?. The great think is the things like the Haka have been embraced by all sorts of New Zealanders and while of Maori origin is now New Zealand culture.

Nov 2014
ph
Many of the place names in Spain are arabic, or translations of arabic. Because they are.
What is the point of changing the name of Mt. Cook to Aoraki or adding a new Maori, when everyone already called it Mt. Cook for ages since the 19th century, or even coming up with a Maori name for New Zealand, when the old name was already known to everyone, and the Maoris never had a unified political entity over New Zealand anyway, it's stupid and smacks of PC.