Ever Caught Historical Errors in Children's Books?

Feb 2017
The Rainforests
I have read a children's book about the Chinese Kitchen god. In it,he was wearing a pigtail/queue even though his existence in stories had predated the Qing dynasty.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
I bought my daughter a rather large children's history book. It was called 10000 Historical Facts (or something like that). Considering my own interests, after I brought it home I decided to see what it said about Japanese history. Naturally there was a little blurb about the Samurai in there. To my abhorrence, II Naomasa was identified as Li Naomasa.

I gave the book away. That sort of nonsense will not be tolerated in my house.
Blasphemy!!!!!

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Lago Maggiore, Italy
If you think that when I was in elementary school in Italy I sang a Communist Partisan song [Bella Ciao] ...

My generation grew up with the persuasion that Partisans liberated Italy. Americans? Sorry? Americans?

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
If you think that when I was in elementary school in Italy I sang a Communist Partisan song [Bella Ciao] ...

My generation grew up with the persuasion that Partisans liberated Italy. Americans? Sorry? Americans?
Bella Ciao is a good song. First time I heard it was in Spanish.

In a general way I think that in the 20th century the left wing had always better songs than the right wing, at least in the Latin countries.

For instance “Hasta siempre, comandante” by Carlos Puebla is a wonderful music, and I am not a fan of Che. And in Portugal the communist “Zeca Afonso” was one of the best song composers of his time.

Last edited:
Oct 2018
Raritania
I have this book where the Magic School Bus visits ancient China from when I was little. That thing is so loaded with errors they actually have a back page that says that it isn’t a reliable source.
Edit: Not a teacher. F3280C00-CECF-4920-9EF9-1C5F85A8BAA5.jpeg

Oct 2012
Don't know if this counts, but in elementary school our standard history book had a chapter on prehistoric man. The only picture it contained was of a man holding a baby by its feet and swinging it into a campfire, the mother terrified with a pleading gesture. Now, looking back, that seems a really odd way of representing the setting or behavior prehistoric man, as if it was normal.
Well thats patriarchy for you.Throwing babies to the campfire.

Similar History Discussions