evidences of early Vaishnavism from the art of Indus valley civilization and copper hoard culture

do you agree with the assertion of early Vaishnavism art in Indus Valley Civilization and CHC?

• yes

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • no

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Dirghatamas was born during the Arctic long night, that is why the name. Otherwise, why parents will name their child as "long darkness"?

Aatreya

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
USA
Dirghatamas was born during the Arctic long night, that is why the name. Otherwise, why parents will name their child as "long darkness"?
Get over with your long arctic night. If tamas really means darkness, it could very well mean blind, and that is the story about Rishi Dirghatamas. Your obsession for long Arctic night is nauseating.

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
That he became blind is a story of the sun disappearing during the Arctic night. He was not the only one to face that eventuality. There were others too who faced that fate and were later rescued by Gods.
(See attached document)

BTW, a 'saptagu' (just like Navagwahas and Dashagwahas, a priest completing his ritual cycle in seven months) is also mentioned in RigVeda):
प्र सप्तगुं ऋतधीतिं सुमेधां बृहस्पतिं मतिरछाजिगाति | य आङगिरसो नमसोपसद्यो.अस्मभ्यं चित्रंव्र्षणं रयिं दाः ||
pra saptaghuṃ ṛtadhītiṃ sumedhāṃ bṛhaspatiṃ matirachājighāti | ya āṅghiraso namasopasadyo.asmabhyaṃ citraṃvṛṣaṇaṃ rayiṃ dāḥ ||
To Saptagu the sage, the holy-minded, to him, Bṛhaspati, the song approaches; Aṅgiras' son who must be met with homage, vouchsafe us mighty and resplendent riches.
https://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/rigveda/rv10047.htm

Attachments

Last edited:

Aatreya

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
USA
That he became blind is a story of the sun disappearing during the Arctic night. He was not the only one to face that eventuality. There were others too who faced that fate and were later rescued by Gods.
(See attached document)

BTW, a 'saptagu' (just like Navagwahas and Dashagwahas, a priest completing his ritual cycle in seven months) is also mentioned in RigVeda):
प्र सप्तगुं ऋतधीतिं सुमेधां बृहस्पतिं मतिरछाजिगाति | य आङगिरसो नमसोपसद्यो.अस्मभ्यं चित्रंव्र्षणं रयिं दाः ||
pra saptaghuṃ ṛtadhītiṃ sumedhāṃ bṛhaspatiṃ matirachājighāti | ya āṅghiraso namasopasadyo.asmabhyaṃ citraṃvṛṣaṇaṃ rayiṃ dāḥ ||
To Saptagu the sage, the holy-minded, to him, Bṛhaspati, the song approaches; Aṅgiras' son who must be met with homage, vouchsafe us mighty and resplendent riches.
https://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/rigveda/rv10047.htm
Nonsense - As evidenced by the Rishi's own story in the hymn, his son KakshivAn, etc.. So if earthquake happens, people name their children as "earthquake", if volcano happens, they name them as "volcano". Yes I understand your desperation.

What has the hymn and its translation have anything to do with any Arctic blah blah?

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Then who were 'Saptagus'?
Are you a Srivaishnava, Aatreya? Then perhaps it is your sectoral belief that does not allow you to accept what is so evident. However, my homage to Sri Ramanujacharya. I learnt 'prapatti' from him. "Prapatti' can be to any particular deity or to a group of deities or to all deities of Hinduism. For an advaitist, there are no limitations.

Last edited:

Aatreya

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
USA
Then who were 'Saptagus'?
Are you a Srivaishnava, Aatreya? Then perhaps it is your sectoral belief that does not allow you to accept what is so evident. However, my homage to Sri Ramanujacharya. I learnt 'prapatti' from him. "Prapatti' can be to any particular deity or to a group of deities or to all deities of Hinduism. For an advaitist, there are no limitations.
What has SriVaishnavism to do with the question in hand? My homage to Sri Ramanuja too, but I am a Smartha, a follower of Sri Shankara, Sri Ramakrishna and Swami Vivekananda if that helps.

Just by claiming to be an advaitist one doesn't become so. And accepting any nonsense isn't advaita either.

We will come to Saptagu.

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
We both are followers of Sri Sankara, then why are we at cross with each other all the time? :)
One can be a follower of Sri Sankara without being doctrinal. Sri Sankara himself was not.
I do not put Ramarksihna and Vivekananda in the same category as Sri Sankara.
I wait for your explanation of 'saptgu'. However, it ties neatly with Tilak's 'Arctic Home' theory. Tilak himself was a 'smartha'.

Aatreya

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
USA
We both are followers of Sri Sankara, then why are we at cross with each other all the time? :)
One can be a follower of Sri Sankara without being doctrinal. Sri Sankara himself was not.
I do not put Ramarksihna and Vivekananda in the same category as Sri Sankara.
I wait for your explanation of 'saptgu'. However, it ties neatly with Tilak's 'Arctic Home' theory. Tilak himself was a 'smartha'.
You are welcome to have your views. I put both Ramakrishna and Vivekananda at the same level of Shankara.

As to Tilak, I have zero regard for his Arctic home theory. I think it is garbage.