evidences of early Vaishnavism from the art of Indus valley civilization and copper hoard culture

do you agree with the assertion of early Vaishnavism art in Indus Valley Civilization and CHC?

• yes

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • no

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters
Apr 2019
India
Absolutely not. Puranic Vishnu is no different from Vedic Vishnu. If Vedic Vishnu was just modeled on Solar noon, we would not have had a hymn like 1.22. Vishnu's trivikrama act in Puranas is description of the same in Rig Veda.

Not just in Puranas, even in Rig Veda Vishnu helps Indra. And no, by no means is Vishnu a minor God in Vedas.

We do not need a better seer than Rishi DIrghatamas who proclaimed that it is the same God with different names.
Rishi Dirghatamas was a great poet but I don't agree with translating 'Devas' as 'Gods' in English. I would rather say 'Devas' are spiritual concepts. So in this sense Deerghatamas's proclamation is true.

Concept of Vishnu was definitely modelled after solar noon(a natural entity just like other Vedik Gods) so he represents all- pervasiveness. Purana have established him as a supreme God(like there was a competition between different God) and have turned the Vedik Indra into a caricature.

Aatreya

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
USA
Rishi Dirghatamas was a great poet but I don't agree with translating 'Devas' as 'Gods' in English. I would rather say 'Devas' are spiritual concepts. So in this sense Deerghatamas's proclamation is true.

Concept of Vishnu was definitely modelled after solar noon(a natural entity just like other Vedik Gods) so he represents all- pervasiveness. Purana have established him as a supreme God(like there was a competition between different God) and have turned the Vedik Indra into a caricature.
I agree with you. God is a loose translation of the Sanskrit word Deva.

The reason for the portrayal of Vishnu in Puranas has much to do with Krishna. It seems to me that a certain group was trying to make him lord over all other deities. But if you look at Rig Veda or even Upanishads, the portrayal is clear. What Upanishads claim Brahman is what the Puranas try to depict their favorite Godhead.

Apr 2019
India
The reason for the portrayal of Vishnu in Puranas has much to do with Krishna. It seems to me that a certain group was trying to make him lord over all other deities. But if you look at Rig Veda or even Upanishads, the portrayal is clear. What Upanishads claim Brahman is what the Puranas try to depict their favorite Godhead.
This is problem with every Purana. Each of them claim supremacy of their particular Gods but thankfully most of the time Indian society was sensible enough to not make these differences a point of contention.
I personally consider Pauranic age as downfall of Indian spiritual tradition (though not saying Puranas are devoid of spirituality). Many of Puranic stories are indirect subtle attack on Vedik tradition.

Aatreya

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
USA
This is problem with every Purana. Each of them claim supremacy of their particular Gods but thankfully most of the time Indian society was sensible enough to not make these differences a point of contention.
I personally consider Pauranic age as downfall of Indian spiritual tradition (though not saying Puranas are devoid of spirituality). Many of Puranic stories are indirect subtle attack on Vedik tradition.
Puranas are watered down versions of Upanishads. I do not think they attacked Vedic tradition.

Similar History Discussions