Examples of "brotherly nations"?

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
Seems to have been precisely how it worked:
Great pic, thank you for sharing.

Well, the next time there is a contentious thread about the purported harshness of the Versailles settlement, I will look for somebody to add the Papuans' loss of access to Dresden porcelain to the points of injustice!

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Great pic, thank you for sharing.

Well, the next time there is a contentious thread about the purported harshness of the Versailles settlement, I will look for somebody to add the Papuans' loss of access to Dresden porcelain to the points of injustice!
And their loss of access to German sausages and sauerkraut!

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
For all their failings, and brutality, and possible jokiness about jackboots and monocles in the jungle, what kind of still put the Germans head and shoulder over the other western colonial powers is that they seriously invested in education for their colonial subjects. (And then they failed as much as the rest in everything else, beginning with the inability to make colonies profitable, and triggering massive uprisings over the means tried to achieve that, requiring massive bloodshed and destruction of the colonies to maintain them, while screwing that elusive profitability even further.)

What happened when the other powers picked up the German colonies after WWI was that these investments in education went out the window in short order. The British operated on the principle of leaving their colonial subjects alone in the matter of education in most places (meaning instead of educating locals to do things they would ship in Indians etc to take care of business), while the French did make a show of education and schools, but made sure not to teach the locals too well, so as to possibly start leveling the playing field with the French (tried that earlier in the 19th c. only to find themselves with a bunch of black French intellectuals demanding to be taken seriously as equals, very disconcerting). The Germans might not have questioned their assumed inherent superiority, but at least they also then saw no reason to load the bases in their favour over the education of locals.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
The former German region is Papua never vied for a separate identity unlike, Namibia under South African rule from German to British rule always saw themselves different from South Africa.

Reactions: Kotromanic

Ficino

Ad Honorem
Apr 2012
Romania
Please be careful of genetic arguments. Language of course is a very poor indicator of deep ethnic influence. I have in-laws who come from generations of German speaking families that have had commercial ancestry tests indicating their long-term ethnicity is Celtic.
Ethnicity is a socio-cultural reality in a more important degree than a biological one.

Reactions: Tulius and Lalli

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
Ethnicity is a socio-cultural reality in a more important degree than a biological one.
I do see your point that the last use of the word ethnicity in my post is a poor choice, I agree. However, my message was actually in spirit a re-statement of your comment.

My in-laws' experience in the most recent five generations is not less culturally German because the large majority of their ancestors of 2000-3000 BCE were very likely living in a culturally Celtic civilization. Perhaps in 40 or 75 years there will be much more subtle DNA testing that indicates details of more recent generations. For now the results of commercial tests do not give useful information on a social-cultural reality.

Ficino

Ad Honorem
Apr 2012
Romania
I do see your point that the last use of the word ethnicity in my post is a poor choice, I agree. However, my message was actually in spirit a re-statement of your comment.

My in-laws' experience in the most recent five generations is not less culturally German because the large majority of their ancestors of 2000-3000 BCE were very likely living in a culturally Celtic civilization. Perhaps in 40 or 75 years there will be much more subtle DNA testing that indicates details of more recent generations. For now the results of commercial tests do not give useful information on a social-cultural reality.
I doubt that such tests will ever be able to give useful information concerning the socio-cultural reality. Anyway, there is no secret that a part of the ethnic Germans descends from (largely Romanized) Celts, the problem is what relevance it has. Does it make them to be less German than other ethnic Germans?

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
I doubt that such tests will ever be able to give useful information concerning the socio-cultural reality. Anyway, there is no secret that a part of the ethnic Germans descends from (largely Romanized) Celts, the problem is what relevance it has. Does it make them to be less German than other ethnic Germans?
If the question was directed to me, my response would be an unqualified "no". You are the first to use the word "secret" and my writing was not intended to convey that the experience of my in-laws' test was a shock, either.

(But I would never discount what will be the technological reality in another 75 years, though an academic point for our experience.)