Examples of "brotherly nations"?

Jun 2017
Connecticut
Which examples of "brotherly nations" are there? For the record, I am talking about countries that share a common language (or at the very least have extremely similar languages), a common history (to some extent), a common heritage (to a significant extent), and a common religion (at least to a large extent).

Anyway, so far, I could think of:

-The Anglosphere countries:

They share a common language, were all former British colonies (thus inheriting things such as the legacy of a British legal system), are all white-majority with a heavy British Isles component (with Quebec being an exception to this rule), are all Christian-majority (largely Protestant but also a decent amount of Catholics), and are all rapidly diversifying.

-The East Slavic countries (Russia, Ukraine, and Belarus):

They have very close languages, are pretty similar peoples, were all part of the Russian Empire and/or Soviet Union, are all overwhelmingly Slavic, are all traditionally Eastern Orthodox countries (with atheism possibly becoming much more popular during the 20th century under Communist rule), and largely share a common history such as being a part of Kievan Rus' in the Middle Ages, participating in the Russian war effort against France and its allies in the Napoleonic Wars and against the Germans and their allies in both World Wars (with Galicia being an exception in regards to this due to them being a part of A-H during WWI and collaborating with the Nazis during WWII), and suffering under Communist rule for decades.

Anyway, which additional examples of "brotherly nations" are there, in your honest opinion?
US and Canada. Cannot tell the difference(unless you get sick). They also call soccer soccer.

And every other example would likely bring up angry denials(Russia, Ukraine is a perfect example of this ) from one side or another trying to explain how they are different.

Reactions: Futurist

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
I doubt that such tests will ever be able to give useful information concerning the socio-cultural reality. Anyway, there is no secret that a part of the ethnic Germans descends from (largely Romanized) Celts, the problem is what relevance it has. Does it make them to be less German than other ethnic Germans?
And let us recall also that those Celts, were themselves other peoples that were Celticized.

(But I would never discount what will be the technological reality in another 75 years, though an academic point for our experience.)
Blood will demonstrate culture with some difficulty!

Reactions: Ficino

Ficino

Ad Honorem
Apr 2012
Romania
If the question was directed to me, my response would be an unqualified "no".
It wasn't directed to you, I am just interested to know what kind of relevance people attribute to these things. Are e.g. the modern European ethnicities defined by the appartenance to a certain genetic group?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kotromanic